My 1st Gen's MPG, you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dankspeed

Reaction score
I'm getting about 15-16 in the city but that is with an extremely light foot. My drive to and from work has a few hills I tend to coast down to help get those numbers.

Plavin1991

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey whats everybodys mods that they have done to improve their milage? If u dont mind me asking..

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Around town I get about 10 with A\C.

I went to Canada this weekend which was mostly hwy and some careful city, which appears to be around 14mpg.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just got 11.4 mpg on a 170 mile trip pulling the 6000 lb boat/trailer with OD off. I have to say I was a bit surprised by that!

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
As for mods to improve mileage, I have done quite a few. Some may say that some would hurt, but it is all in how you do them:

-Gotts mod to open up the air box and using a K&N filter
-e-fan conversion set up on separate controllers, offset by about 10F at 195 and 205F
-true dual exhaust using 2.5" piping and a 70 series muffler
-port/polish of intake to allow for easier movement of air by the engine
-run the tires at the higher end of the pressure band while still maintaining an even tread pressure on the ground
-keeping the engine RPMs between 1800-2200 RPM when at a steady speed (works out to be about 60-72 mph)
-when accelerating, depressing the accelerator so the engine RPMs come up to about 2,500 and then the engine shifts without me moving my foot
-when approaching a red light, let off the gas as early as possible to allow the truck to coast as long as possible.

The last few are more driving style things than actual "mods" to the truck. But, every little bit helps. The only modification that I can think of that I could do to make things better would be to drop the truck, go back to the stock 255's and build a dam on the front of the truck to minimize the amount of air going under the truck. But, with how Nukie is, that is just not going to happen.

hovocop

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get around 11 in city traffic................... I put in a specter air filter a couple of weeks ago to see any change........ will fill you in on next trip to gas station

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
30 gal tank. 300 to the tank. and thats if i use chevron 89. if i put in shell 89 i get less. idk why that is. as for mods.

3" exhaust from Y-pipe back into a 18" Bullet muffler. Gotts mod, k&n filter. Hypertech programmer. wanted to do E-fan but got the wrong fans. and soon, hopefully, CAI and TB spacer. also on a 2" lift and 32s 3:55 gears.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Panda, not to question the installation of a throttle body spacer, but on our engines, they will actually rob power from the engine (big air restriction). The best use of a throttle body space for our trucks is using them as book ends for the shop manuals. I am sure I can find some dyno tests from another site I was a member of where they tested on a dyno whether a spacer did anything or not and on a few different trucks they all got the same result. It was like a drop of 3-4 hp as I recall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986