My 1st Gen's MPG, you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plavin1991

Full Access Members
Reaction score
30 gal tank. 300 to the tank. and thats if i use chevron 89. if i put in shell 89 i get less. idk why that is. as for mods.

3" exhaust from Y-pipe back into a 18" Bullet muffler. Gotts mod, k&n filter. Hypertech programmer. wanted to do E-fan but got the wrong fans. and soon, hopefully, CAI and TB spacer. also on a 2" lift and 32s 3:55 gears.

Hey by any chance could u send me a link for a thread on converting to 30 gal tank please... Still using phone (searching forum impossible) as due to the fact that my comp sucks ****... I usually use wawa gas but i realised with sunoco i get better mileage.. Next time i fill up i give update on mileage.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
to be honest i dont know if anyone has ever done the swap. but it really wouldnt be too hard. get a junkyard tank and swap it in. make sure you drain it or drive around till its empty before you do the swap. haha.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey whats everybodys mods that they have done to improve their milage? If u dont mind me asking..

Since you asked nicely, here is my secret.

I just follow this guy around everywhere.
photobucket-21809-1346240593618.jpg

I saw him on the highway the other day.

Everything about my truck is stock except the extra couple hundred pounds of police cages. I even have a 'Catalytic Converter is running at low efficiency' code or whatever.

Plavin1991

Full Access Members
Reaction score
far as i know every expy had a 30 gallon tank?! the window sticker clearly shows it for '98 anyhow.

How can i find out what size tank i have? Cause when my light comes on i fill it up with about 21-22 galons and that shit sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Makes me wanna fight big bertha! :buttkick:

Plavin1991

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since you asked nicely, here is my secret.

I just follow this guy around everywhere.
photobucket-21809-1346240593618.jpg

I saw him on the highway the other day.

Everything about my truck is stock except the extra couple hundred pounds of police cages. I even have a 'Catalytic Converter is running at low efficiency' code or whatever.

Lmao thats awesome!!! Sike u guys gotta see this riced out gen 1 expy out here in delaware if i see it again ill take a pic for u guys...:idiot:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How can i find out what size tank i have? Cause when my light comes on i fill it up with about 21-22 galons and that shit sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Makes me wanna fight big bertha! :buttkick:

what engine do you have? the 1st gens came with a 30 gal and a 28 gal.the 5.4 came with the 30 and 4.6 with the smaller tank. and if you had a 4.6 with air suspension and/or 4wd it was a 30 gal. its confusing. i tryed finding the link but cant anymore.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
The Expys came with 2 tanks possible. If you have a 4x4, then it has a 30 gallon tank, regardless of the motor. If you have a 4x2, then depending on whether you have the 5.4L or the 4.6L or the trailer towing package or not, you may have the 26 or the 30 gallon tank. For the most part, only the trucks that got the 4.6L motor without the trailer tow package got the 26 gallon tanks.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Plavin, based on your truck, do you have the 9.75" rear end or the 8.8" rear end. If you have the 8.8", no tow package. If you have the 9.75", then odds are you have the tow package.