Nerf Bars or running boards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ssbroly

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have a question that I guess would be more of a personal preference, but I've been thinking about dropping my EB's running boards and switching to some black tubular nerf bars,....any suggestions?

97_edition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like my Nerf bars way better. The bars gave me more clearance for my bigger tires. Also, the running boards collected a ton of mud in the summer and snow in the winter. I always had ice sickles hanging from the wires to the running board lights. Since I removed the running boards I used the existing wiring to hook up LED pod lights under the doors.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
I like the nerf bar idea too, but with my Body lift, the running boards are great for hiding the ugly frame underneath. I took the running boards off my Explorer when I lifted it, and from the side, the frame was all you noticed.

Ditto on the snow and mud getting all caught up in the wires. I have ice chunks hanging down to the ground from those wires for 4 months of the year. No matter how you tuck them up, they always seem to get pulled out by something lol.

But my vote would be for the nerf bars.

Iowa Redneck

Reaction score
Funny you posted this topic because I was just thinking the same way today. I am leaning towards nerf bars and will go that route when I find a set that I like. I am assuming that they are the same size at a crew cab F150, can someone confirm this? Good luck with the transformation.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah +1 for nerf bars.... I ordered mine from ebay some small company and they have held up great and look good

OP
OP
ssbroly

ssbroly

Full Access Members
Reaction score
MAN I LOVE EBAY! Found a set of Nerfs on there for 115 shipped! Thanks for all the insight guys, I just needed help making up my mind. Now, do I buy the nerf bars first, or the tactical shotgun conversion kit?

dlose9

Reaction score
Nurf bars

Does any one no if their are a set of nurf bars out there that mount to the frame? All the ones I have looked at mount to the rocker panel and my rocker panels are shot.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
go for the conversion! nerf bars can always wait, since you already have steps! hhahaha. but yeah, i agree with the nerf bars.

as for nerf bars on the frame, not too sure. seems like the brackets would have to be pretty long.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For me, the running boards look nice but have no practical use. I can't seem to step on them when getting out of the truck. It's like they're sucked in too close under the body and my foot slides off the edge of them every time, hurts like hell.

It seems to me they're on there for looks and just another feature listed on the window sticker. Switching from running boards to nerf bars changes the look of the vehicle from a luxury SUV to a more rugged "truck" look.