New big V8 coming (?) Will it be available in the Expedition ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
EcoBoost has a big problem ahead !

First, understand that this was a Bosch "thing", pushed by FoE. Half way through the development (I was working in R&E at the time) of the engine for the 2010 Taurus SHO, Ford NA could not duplicate the fuel economy improvements Bosch had promised to management. That was because the big improvements were only seen on the Europen drive cycle, not the US drive cycle ! The program went ahead anyway, and as everyone knows it has been a big success. (The Gen 1 EcoBoost on the old 3.5L Taurus was almost exclusively Bosch components and software. When the US 2.0L EcoBoost came out, Bosch had few if any components on the engine and the software was almost 100% US written.)

There are upcoming changes in US emission days that will limit particulate emissions from gasoline engine. Direct injection produce more particulates than port injection (something Ford has known, but probably forgotten, since they developed the PROCO engine back in the 70s-80s). Some of the EcoBoost engines now have 2 sets of injectors, one direct, one port. I do not know the exact "strategy" used to decide which ones are used (or what percentage of fuel is injected through which ones), but it does get them past having to use a "particulate trap" like on diesels !
The Ecoboost was based on Obama's, future, 50mpg corporate average(CAFE) mandate. Trump backed off on the future requirement, in favor of more US jobs. The Ecoboost was considered a cheaper alternative, to Hybrid and diesel. It is an expensive engine and fuel savings is modest. No other manufactures, have followed Ford, down this road. It can be considered both attractive and a turn off, to buyers.

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Ecoboost was based on Obama's, future, 50mpg corporate average(CAFE) mandate. Trump backed off on the future requirement, in favor of more US jobs. The Ecoboost was considered a cheaper alternative, to Hybrid and diesel. It is an expensive engine and fuel savings is modest. No other manufactures, have followed Ford, down this road. It can be considered both attractive and a turn off, to buyers.
I for one are with you on that and that is the reason i'm keeping my 07 Expy with the 5.4 3 valve, now if Ford would offer the 5.0 engine that my son has in his F150 I might think about trading,i don't want no stinkin twin turbo as I believe in KISS and don't want the high priced repairs when some hightec part fails.

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I for one are with you on that and that is the reason i'm keeping my 07 Expy with the 5.4 3 valve, now if Ford would offer the 5.0 engine that my son has in his F150 I might think about trading,i don't want no stinkin twin turbo as I believe in KISS and don't want the high priced repairs when some hightec part fails.
Reading the posts I came across this one,my point is made on KISS

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All
I am a 72 year old retired Fuel & Emissions engineer
Never owned a Ford till they released the ECOBOOST in the 2011 F150
Now own a 2013 SHO & 2016 Explorer Sport
Both set up with Livernois Tunes
Thinking about buying a 2018 Expedition
I know a lot of folks like the big V8's & shun turbo engines
Personally I would not own anything that is not turbocharged
Here is why
My area is surrounded by mountains
Naturally aspirated engines loose about 3% hp & torque for each 1000ft above sea level
So a 420hp N/A 6.2L V8 will lose about21% power at 7000ft (which is the altitude at Flagstaff, AZ)
That is a loss of about 88hp
My turbo vehicles use absolute pressure sensors to measure boost pressure so the will produce the same HP & Torque at 7000ft as sea level
You could not sell me a N/A engine any more primarily for that reason
Love the FORD ecoboost series
Just wish they make a FLEX fuel version so I could use the 108 octane ethanol fuel

OP
OP
T

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just wish they make a FLEX fuel version so I could use the 108 octane ethanol fuel
Now that would be EXCITING ! Fuel economy would be terrible.

All TGDI engines are going to have a problem meeting future CARB/EPA particulate standards.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score

All TGDI engines are going to have a problem meeting future CARB/EPA particulate standards.
Ford has to honor powertrain warranties. The timing chain issue, is a 9 hour/$1500 job, alone. The image of future, costly repairs, little fuel savings and customers distrust, will probably kill the Ecoboost. If they get rid of F150 EcoBoost rebates, people will prob, opt for the standard 3.5l or 5.0l. I love to see a diesel, for the Nav/Expy.

OP
OP
T

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I love to see a diesel, for the Nav/Expy.
That is a possibility ! Prototype type F150 have been seen with diesel engines. It certainly will not be available for Job #1 2018MY, but it could show up in a year or so.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I sure hope Ford does not drop ecoboost.
If they do I am no longer a FORD buyer
I have had 4 of them first 2 over 100k miles with no problems
Performance a lot better than any large V8
You could not sell me a N/A V8 engine anymore