No heat, I've done everything

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rich_007

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had similar no heat problem after doing some maint. turned out to be air trapped. I let engine get up to temp and stay there a while, then cracked the cap slightly on the reservoir and let a little bubble out, that seemed to make it suck the rest in, took most of another gallon and heat came on. the only thing that surprised me about this is that this didn't fix itself after several run cycles.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I may try this tomorrow.
Keeping the car running allows me to remove the cap, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Going to watch this one. I have very poor heat as well. Have not tried the back flush yet - looked at it, but not sure which hoses - rather not jack something up.

Get a small extra piece of hose (do NOT cut hose like the backflush tee kits suggest, theyre leaky flimsy pieces of crap you do NOT want permanently installed on your vehicle), take off the heater hose where it goes into the engine block, and put the flush tee there with the extra piece on the other side

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I may try this tomorrow.
Keeping the car running allows me to remove the cap, right?

Remove cap first then start the engine.

PS radiator cap not overflow tank cap

Rich_007

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remove cap first then start the engine.

PS radiator cap not overflow tank cap
That sounds like the smarter way to do it for sure. I was already warmed up and running when I started looking around. I don't think my 01 has a radiator cap. I have to do everything from the overflow res unless I want to open a hose.

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds like the smarter way to do it for sure. I was already warmed up and running when I started looking around. I don't think my 01 has a radiator cap. I have to do everything from the overflow res unless I want to open a hose.
same deal for 98 & prob 97

RonB1964

Reaction score
1 easy thing to try is to add a flushing tee to the heater hose. Before installing the tee, you can force water through each of the hose open ends, then clamp the hose that is open. Remove the radiator cap and run water into the heater hose and see if the volume of water coming out is the same going in. When you install the tee, you can fill the system and it will not have air in it since the heater hose is up so high.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: I have been adding coolant over the past few days. I was low. Assume from when the radiator was replaced. Each time I fill it cold, then run it, then check it again, I am low. Will keep this up until “full” when cold.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should only have to top off coolant once if all is sound with your vehicle. The coolant level will drop a little while expanding its way through the system. If your continually adding, you've either have a leak, or a bad head gasket/ cracked head. Check your oil to be sure.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t think the air was expelled properly when the new radiator was put in. No leaks that I can see and oil is good ( aside from from using too much of it 191k mike motor ). :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire