No tow package ..Wiring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alansd

Reaction score
I just got a 2006 Expy XLT. Great truck. Has a hitch but not the tow package I guess as it only has a 4 pin trailer connector.

I need to wire up a 6 pin round connector. I can get a converter for the 4 pin but it also needs the power for the brakes. Where do you tap that?

I have the Prodigy brake controller and orderd the small harness that should plug in (hopefully) under the dash. I had an Excursion and used the same controller but that had the full tow package.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you read and understand wiring diagrams

Check under the expy and see where the 4pin connectors plugs into the wiring harness as you may just be able to get the 7pin connector and plug it in.
Also check to see if you have the connector under the dash for the brake controller.

OP
OP
A

Alansd

Reaction score
thanks i will do that. I order the Ford plug in for my Prodigy, as i cut the ends off my old one to use with the POS Chevy I had for awhile

OP
OP
A

Alansd

Reaction score
Got the harness from Amazon today, it plugged right in under the OBD port. I have yet to crawl under the rear to check out the trailer hook up, but will soon. Great truck!

OP
OP
A

Alansd

Reaction score
I see where the 4 pin plugs in the back in what other wires do I need to connect ?

OP
OP
A

Alansd

Reaction score
I am thinking of going with this converter...which wires at the back do I tap?

Attachments

• 30717_spec_1000.jpg
    30717_spec_1000.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 100
OP
OP
A

Alansd

Reaction score
gotcha, I got some great directions from etrailer. They show just which wires to splice . I bought a 4 way to 7 way adapter from them. They are great for hitches and all that stuff.