please help...and don't laugh (lifting an expy)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
first i would like to say, nice truck! obviously im a fan of black, thats why im blacking out my interior as well (expy teardown thread in general discussion).
"My reasons for wanting to lift a 2wd are the same as wanting to lift a 4wd ....I just want something that looks a little cooler." Thats not the reason most of us lift a 4x4. we do it for functionality offroad. im not saying you dont, but with 2wd, you are still limited to the performance of your tires and your driving ability. im not knocking you in any way cuz even with 4x4, without good driving skills, 4wd just gets you stuck faster!

and ur right, ur lift doesnt look much higher than a standard 6" lift kit. i suppose a 3" body should do the trick for ya, and relatively cheap. i dont suggest the full throttle. i have heard bad things about their setup. here is a pic of my expy with the 4" rancho on 35" toyo.
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af25/nvycrmn/CIMG0216.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mmrseed

mmrseed

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. I would like to run 37" and I really want 3 more inches minimum or up to 5 more maximum. Right now I have the 35"'s on it and I'm no offroader in this thing (not seriously but i play around in muddy undeveloped tracks locally)...not until I get more done to it chassis wise if you know what i mean. It's no beauty queen but I am honestly one of the guys more into lifted looks than I am functionality because it's function as is.

Funny story ...the whole reason I got the lift in the first place is i was walking out to my truck in the parking lot on day and saw a diamond engagement ring wedged in my tire tread. It was still in perfect condition. I got it cleaned and appraised and got $3000 for it and lifted my truck the next day without even thinking about it

97_edition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. I would like to run 37" and I really want 3 more inches minimum or up to 5 more maximum. Right now I have the 35"'s on it and I'm no offroader in this thing (not seriously but i play around in muddy undeveloped tracks locally)...not until I get more done to it chassis wise if you know what i mean. It's no beauty queen but I am honestly one of the guys more into lifted looks than I am functionality because it's function as is.

Funny story ...the whole reason I got the lift in the first place is i was walking out to my truck in the parking lot on day and saw a diamond engagement ring wedged in my tire tread. It was still in perfect condition. I got it cleaned and appraised and got $3000 for it and lifted my truck the next day without even thinking about it

I agree nice find! I would have done the exact same thing if my expy found a diamond ring.. BTW, Nice looking 2wd mmrseed.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would never do full throttle or whiplash... unless it is a pure show truck trailer queen... they are big but front end of an IFS will not withstand it..and most of those trucks with those lifts take out the front driveshaft... hell my truck's front end doesn't like my lift.. cant keep ball joints in it.... but a 3" body lift on that should easily let you clear 37s if you dont go to wide of a tire and rim.... but def like your expy... like i always say I am jeaslous of black!

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well first set was over a year and new ones I just put in only lasted 2 months... the grease boot blew out... and no i didn't over-grease them.... so i just keep them clean and put in grease every other a month... or the fact they might just be cheap ball joints from Autozone...

dgray69

Full Access Members
Reaction score
auto zone, dam boy you are cheap, any criticial parts like that i always go to napa, way better quality, i bought a set of unversals at auto zone for my jeep when i had her, they were alright on the road, but that afternoon i went wheeling with some jeep club freinds and all hell broke loose, less than 5 minutes into a simple trail ride, new universal exploded, grrrr was i pist

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Not to completely hijack this thread, but I've been looking in to a set of tubular A arms with replacable "uniballs" which are supposed to be far stronger than regular ball joints. I just started researching this and I'm not very familiar with them. I'm also not sure if they have uniball lower joints. Anyone?