Stalling when driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dimension12

Reaction score
I ran two tanks of this crap in my 99 with a 5.4 auto EB edition. I think it added to my running troubles. I have cleaned the MAF, replaced a cracked exhaust manifold and upstream 02 sens. New coils and boots, PCV valve/hose assembly, and fuel filter.
When driving it feels like it has an intermitent ignition miss and when you give it enough throttle it clears up. Sometimes it shuts off like turning the key. It produces various codes. Evap, cylinder head overheat protection, lean bank 1, and anti theft system.
All of these are indivual codes and come after stalling. Lean code stopped after replacing 02 sensor.
Any ideas?

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know if the codes are secondary, but the symptoms seem like a failing Throttle Position Sensor.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to check fuel pressure especially when those symptoms happen. And try replacing the fuel filter.

OP
OP
D

dimension12

Reaction score
It has a new fuel filter. The fuel pressure is within specs when driving. It didn't stall when fuel gauge was installed though.
The tps is responsive and seems within spec on my scanner when driving.

Last edited:

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how many miles?
What other service items have you done?
plugs? egr? dpfe? vacuum leak test?
TPS is inexpensive and a relatively easy change out.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ran two tanks of this crap in my 99 with a 5.4 auto EB edition. I think it added to my running troubles. I have cleaned the MAF, replaced a cracked exhaust manifold and upstream 02 sens. New coils and boots, PCV valve/hose assembly, and fuel filter.
When driving it feels like it has an intermitent ignition miss and when you give it enough throttle it clears up. Sometimes it shuts off like turning the key. It produces various codes. Evap, cylinder head overheat protection, lean bank 1, and anti theft system.
All of these are indivual codes and come after stalling. Lean code stopped after replacing 02 sensor.
Any ideas?

What is, "two tanks of this crap"?

OP
OP
D

dimension12

Reaction score
Sorry. The crap is the E15 ethanol blend. Wasn't marked clearly in the pump and was 5 cents cheaper than regular unleaded. That's when stalling started.
Checked the plugs, no vacuum leaks found, put a vacuum pump on egr and it opens and closes as it should.

OP
OP
D

dimension12

Reaction score
Haven't tested the computer controls for the EGR system. Going to sweep TPS with volt meter when time allows.
Oh, miles are a little high @ 320,700.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The E15 may have damaged something in fuel system or engine.