Tip and Slide Only Works with LATCH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why we went with the bench. Yeah it may be weird in a higher trim level but we have people to stick in there. My in laws have to fly when they come because of the distance so we really don’t want to have to take 2 cars everywhere we go when they are here. So to be able to use the third row we will stick a kid in their car seat back there and now grandma and granddad can each sit next to one of the kids and we can still use the tilt and slide seat feature. Problem solved.

If you only have two kids (that's what it sounds like from above) wouldn't everyone be more comfortable with the second row bench?

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, we got the second row bench.

Sorry Artie, I actually meant it the other way around. I meant to say with only two kids, and sometimes having two grandparents, wouldn't it be more comfortable with the second row captains seats?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever you have captains seats you always get that “man i really wish i had another seat right now” factor. My truck seems to have just enough seats quite often, minus that one and boom you need two vehicles for the trip.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry Artie, I actually meant it the other way around. I meant to say with only two kids, and sometimes having two grandparents, wouldn't it be more comfortable with the second row captains seats?
We thought about the captains seats but decided to go bench, partly because of the tilt seat but also with her family coming often her sister comes and with her husband that’s a total of 8 seats. Plus the kids will have friends and we don’t want to have the ‘man we need one more seat’ convo. We felt the captains seats left space not used in the pass through.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Besides, if I'm going to spend >$60large for the short wheel base with only seven seats, I'm going to get a Discovery.

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I originally was thinking to get the bench for my 2 kids and loving the 8 seats, but then I was thinking I would either need to put the dog on the bench between the kids or in the cargo section. So, I got the captain's chairs and now the dog can lay on the floor.

It is much easier to get into the 3rd row, but your cargo can slide into the space between the 2 captain's chairs. That is really the part I didn't consider. Lastly, when hauling cargo with all the seats down, I try to plan ahead and bring plywood to put across the backs of the captain's chairs to have a continuously flat surface. (the counter point being that the space between the captain's chairs is a great suitcase location and long items can extend thru the space bwetween the two captain's chairs without needing to fold down any part of the second row.)

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I originally was thinking to get the bench for my 2 kids and loving the 8 seats, but then I was thinking I would either need to put the dog on the bench between the kids or in the cargo section. So, I got the captain's chairs and now the dog can lay on the floor.

It is much easier to get into the 3rd row, but your cargo can slide into the space between the 2 captain's chairs. That is really the part I didn't consider. Lastly, when hauling cargo with all the seats down, I try to plan ahead and bring plywood to put across the backs of the captain's chairs to have a continuously flat surface. (the counter point being that the space between the captain's chairs is a great suitcase location and long items can extend thru the space bwetween the two captain's chairs without needing to fold down any part of the second row.)
That's the only negative that I have about the captain's chairs. When I haul my large model airplanes, I have to lay down some 1/4 ply or Masonite to bridge the gap so my airplanes don't fall off the platform.