Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackburb

Reaction score
It seems to run fine and gets about 16mpg highway in normal use. I have no idea what gears are in it, but it seems to need to downshift to 2nd a lot more often than I would expect pulling 3500lb V-nose trailer. Even a strong headwind on a level road can require some 2nd gear.

Doing a compression test sounds like a big pita considering where the plugs are. I had to change a coil boot on I think #4, furthest back on passenger side. What a huge pain in the ass to get to! At least on my Suburbans, the whole engine is under the hood.

The cat could be an issue as it had needed an O2 sensor replaced when I bought it. The PO even had the part, but said he never bothered to change it cuz "it runs fine" with the check engine light on. Who knows how long it was driven like that.

Now I do like a lot of things about the Expy and I still have a 3/4 ton 8.1l Burb for towing my travel trailer. The Expy, with it's air springs replaced with conventional, rides much better than even my old 1/2 ton burb did. And the seats and interior are more comfortable and user friendly.

Last edited:

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Blackburb, sounds like your Suv needs to be looked into. 99 was first year of 260 hp engine, so right from the get go, theirs 30 more horses than a 98. True these early vehicles don't pull like a Diesel, but their rated up to 8,500 pounds depending on package. You might have a clogged cat, or low on compression. If this is only way to get cross country, and his fund's are not permitting renting a truck/ trailer, then easy does it, and he'll be fine.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

I used to pull 6800 camper with it, a 4 place snowmobile trailer and sleds, and our 23' boat with my 97 5.4 all the time, and it pulled good! Cant imagine not being able to pull a snowmobile trailer with his!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They can do a compression check with an advanced type scanner. Not as accurate as doing a compression test but at least you have an idea. Problem is with a compression test is do you really want to know? If it is bad, engine rebuild time . Have a shop test all 4 cats, and call it a day. If you know someone that has a similar year Expedition, ask to borrow theirs to drive/compare.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

eluther3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 97 expedition Eddie Bauer with the 5.4 and a 3.31 ratio. I’m planning on towing a sedan on a U-Haul trailer from Arizona to Florida. How do you think it will do? Any tips?

I towed a Uhaul from Arizona to Texas with my 97 5.4L when it had about 180,000 miles on it. No issues

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMG_0474.jpg IMG_0477.jpg I made sure that I had a separate RV cooler for my transmission (r4100) separate cooler for powers tearing and Hydrobost. Separate 2 core radiator for the engine. Then a 4 Core intercooler for the supercharge. Now I tow almost anything. 373 rear end gears with posi and a supercharged 5.4 I pull my 23 ft sea ray out of the ocean with no issues. the boat weighs in at 5000 lbs. My 34ft rv weighs in at 6500. However electric brakes for the rv and hydraulic for the boat. Love my truck.!!!