UPDATE: 03 Ford Expedition 5.4L won't accelerate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waldo

Reaction score
First time I’ve heard that an intake manifold needed replacing. Other that hitting it with a hammer how would you break that?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well that explains all the lean codes, and misfires you were getting. The plugged up cat, will definitely feel like your pulling an anchor! Well unless your Suv is super cherry, and low mileage, doubtful with all the issues. You might have to send your 5800 pound baby down the road to someone that likes a challenge. You'll at least get some cash, and find a new ride. I know it hurts but like your parents told you, don't put good money after bad. Sorry you got such bad news, but at least you didn't bury a ton of cash, just to have bigger items fail. Good luck to you. Moose.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
Hmmm ... isn't Meineke sort of a muffler place? If it was me I would call a good Ford Dealer and ask them what it would cost to diagnose the problem. They probably are better equipped than a Muffler Joint, maybe I'm wrong.

I know my 2003 XLT is one $1000 repair job away from the salvage yard, but that's up here in Rustville NY. I've already decided any repair approaching $1000 and she's going to that big interstate highway in the sky. Your ride may be different. YMMV

If the CatConv is rusted out, it probably isn't plugging up the exhaust is it?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is something to consider - does a muffler shop have the necessary equipment to truly diagnose all the different manufactures vehicles at the same level as the OEM dealers?
Hell no.

So this is the same as going to a proctologist for dental work.

How much has been spent on towing from one place to another compared to the diagnostics at the dealer?

OP
OP
Z
Reaction score
Here is something to consider - does a muffler shop have the necessary equipment to truly diagnose all the different manufactures vehicles at the same level as the OEM dealers?
Hell no.

So this is the same as going to a proctologist for dental work.

How much has been spent on towing from one place to another compared to the diagnostics at the dealer?

I got it towed for free through AAA. Meineke is charging me $100 for that diagnosis. Should I try elsewhere?

OP
OP
Z
Reaction score
Hmmm ... isn't Meineke sort of a muffler place? If it was me I would call a good Ford Dealer and ask them what it would cost to diagnose the problem. They probably are better equipped than a Muffler Joint, maybe I'm wrong.

I know my 2003 XLT is one $1000 repair job away from the salvage yard, but that's up here in Rustville NY. I've already decided any repair approaching $1000 and she's going to that big interstate highway in the sky. Your ride may be different. YMMV

If the CatConv is rusted out, it probably isn't plugging up the exhaust is it?

Yeah I think I’ll call ford...

OP
OP
Z
Reaction score
First time I’ve heard that an intake manifold needed replacing. Other that hitting it with a hammer how would you break that?!?

Yeah I don’t know... first time I’ve ever heard about the manifold...

waldo

Reaction score
The dealer will quote $3k for catalytic converters, you can get new ones from magna flow for $300 or you can have a muffler (a real one not meineke) put in straight-pipes for $50 to confirm if it’s an issue or not. New o2 sensors $40 a pop would replace anyway as it’s a consumable part. IMO the only real expedition killer for the average person would be timing belts. Anything other than that is an easy fix for any half decent mechanic that isn’t trying to buy a new house on your dime, just saying.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timing chains*

Timing jobs aren’t that hard on these trucks either, it’s just getting everything out of the way to get the timing cover off.