What did you do to the expy today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Expy has been sitting for almost 3 weeks now as I've been able to take my work van home... Feels pretty good keeping miles off it and it still runs great with the new repairs and oil... Will be hopefully getting it out for real this weekend for some actual mileage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Expy has been sitting for almost 3 weeks now as I've been able to take my work van home... Feels pretty good keeping miles off it and it still runs great with the new repairs and oil... Will be hopefully getting it out for real this weekend for some actual mileage

I need to do exactly what you did to your expy, mine needs a rest the phaser tick is louder than ever and my VCT's are shot to all hell, also I'm about 2000 miles overdue on conventional oil. I was inspired by Gruz's success and hoping mine comes along as well.

I'm also highly debating if want to change the phasers and use a lockout kit or if i should leave it with just and oil change and VCT change. Reason I'm debating is not cause of the labor factor but the price for the lock out kit I just can't justify. Also need to replace the fan clutch and maybe clean the sludge in the motor....

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to do exactly what you did to your expy, mine needs a rest the phaser tick is louder than ever and my VCT's are shot to all hell, also I'm about 2000 miles overdue on conventional oil. I was inspired by Gruz's success and hoping mine comes along as well.

I'm also highly debating if want to change the phasers and use a lockout kit or if i should leave it with just and oil change and VCT change. Reason I'm debating is not cause of the labor factor but the price for the lock out kit I just can't justify. Also need to replace the fan clutch and maybe clean the sludge in the motor....

VCTs weren't too bad in mine but it was running like serious crap I think my main issue was that only 2 quarts of oil going through the motor dried out my VCTs and they couldn't work properly but, it is definitely a repair or PM I recommend. When the do go bad I have heard, first-hand, how bad they throw off the timing and it does not sound pretty lol

GTR-34

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Testdrove the new roof box today.

a7115e7ca61242dcb72efc78ed5c2629.jpg

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just playing with the expy today not dining much to it.. But I did help a buddy of mine put a nameless "3.5 pipe on his '13 WRX.... The sound is incredible on these little cars lol

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the rear window gasket and the right glass hinge to stop a water leak at the back window. The hinge was cracked almost completely across. The only think that was holding the hinge on was the plastic piece that goes between the hinge and the glass.

The one thing that I noticed is that truck got much quieter. The gasket and the stopping the leak must have eliminated some air noise and it doesn't rattle when you go over bumps.

I had to buy the hinge and the gasket from Ford. I also bought the glass screw and the screw for the hinge to the hatch frame.

Attachments

• Hatch Hinge 2.jpg
    Hatch Hinge 2.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 16
  • Hatch Hinge.jpg
    Hatch Hinge.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 15

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
So I'm doing a little maintnance on the truck and I walked in the garage to grab a socket and I stumbled across the 8 spark plugs I took off the truck, I decided to look at them to see if there's any deposits I should be concerned about and I noticed for the first time that the truck was running on 3 different brand of plugs, 2 Champion 3autolite and 3 motorcraft.

The motorcraft were originals and severely worn but the other 5 were just hand tight in the block so who ever did a tune up prior to me was a lazy bastard cause he left cylinders 3,4,8 with original plugs as they were the hardest to get to.

Anyways I'm gonna flush the motor now using desiel fuel gonna do 6qt desiel 1qt oil, run it for 3 minutes then drain, then put in 6qt chepo oil & filter then run it for 15mins then drain. After that I'll run 7.2 quarts of Mobil 1 5-20 with K&N filter and call it a day.

I'll report back on what happens after the flush (good or bad)

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha! I washed mine as well... About 3 times because it kept raining... Also checked my current tailpipe and exhaust to see how fast I'm going to be able to replace it with a magnaflow

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the old girl just demands attention.

attachment.php

Three hours later with a mess of cleaners/degreasers/pressure washer and the slab is clean if stained.

attachment.php

Just something about some angles that makes me love this truck and makes it worthwhile (excuse the transient mess/storage).

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20160717_172655.jpg
    IMG_20160717_172655.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20160717_172715.jpg
    IMG_20160717_172715.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20160717_172607.jpg
    IMG_20160717_172607.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 43