What did you do to the expy today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi lift makes an extension that reaches pretty far... My hoping is that with the extension I can grab the frame at the normal Jack points and if not I'll have to go ballsy and lift from the tow hook up front the receiver in the rear lol hopefully it won't be a waste of money and I'll be able to find a way to use it because normal Jack don't even reach the frame barely anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the expense of being "that guy", seriously re-think this. Using a hi-lift to raise a vehicle that does not have solid steel rails, slots in the steel bumpers, etc., etc. is asking for damage to the vehicle.

Also, once you start lifting the hi-lift starts moving, twisting, etc... it's really a terrible device for lifting a vehicle unless it is a bush buggy with lots of steel to lift against and you don't care what the jack may do to the body work.

There is a time and place for that but perhaps this is not it if you want to keep your truck looking good. I've used my hi-lift on my Jeep and tent trailer a number of times against the lift rails and bumpers and it is always a PITA and on the edge of damaging something and that is a small vehicle with bespoke steel jacking points.

Nowadays I'm all about bottle and scissor jacks on trucks I care to not beat on like a bush buggy. It's not terribly "sexy" but it is a better solution IMO.

Check the factory bottle jack for extension - consider loading some extra blocks or whatever to get extra travel if you need it with your tire set up. I'll probably fangle up some saddle shaped blocks to go between the scissor jack and axle tube or A-arms eventually. I have yet to leave the pavement with my build and other projects keep getting the queue (150 yo house) so a ways to go yet...

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the expense of being "that guy", seriously re-think this. Using a hi-lift to raise a vehicle that does not have solid steel rails, slots in the steel bumpers, etc., etc. is asking for damage to the vehicle.

Also, once you start lifting the hi-lift starts moving, twisting, etc... it's really a terrible device for lifting a vehicle unless it is a bush buggy with lots of steel to lift against and you don't care what the jack may do to the body work.

There is a time and place for that but perhaps this is not it if you want to keep your truck looking good. I've used my hi-lift on my Jeep and tent trailer a number of times against the lift rails and bumpers and it is always a PITA and on the edge of damaging something and that is a small vehicle with bespoke steel jacking points.

Nowadays I'm all about bottle and scissor jacks on trucks I care to not beat on like a bush buggy. It's not terribly "sexy" but it is a better solution IMO.

Check the factory bottle jack for extension - consider loading some extra blocks or whatever to get extra travel if you need it with your tire set up. I'll probably fangle up some saddle shaped blocks to go between the scissor jack and axle tube or A-arms eventually. I have yet to leave the pavement with my build and other projects keep getting the queue (150 yo house) so a ways to go yet...

Yeah I hear ya... That's what I've been doing using the factory scissor with a few blocks... Still a bit scary as the truck has even fallen off of that a few times but I just want something that can pick it up clean and fast, there really doesn't seem to be any jack like that out other than a heavy duty floor Jack but I won't be taking that on a trail

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It won't fit in the receiver. At least not enough that I'd be comfortable lifting with.

And I haven't been able to find any extensions. I've seen pictures of extension that people have made, but not to buy

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I hear ya... That's what I've been doing using the factory scissor with a few blocks... Still a bit scary as the truck has even fallen off of that a few times but I just want something that can pick it up clean and fast, there really doesn't seem to be any jack like that out other than a heavy duty floor Jack but I won't be taking that on a trail

When we go touring with the trailer I throw a couple of jack stands and misc. bunch of wood blocks on the cargo tray as a "just in case". Rarely have to use it but it is some insurance, especially on soft ground.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear you.

When we go touring with the trailer I throw a couple of jack stands and misc. bunch of wood blocks on the cargo tray as a "just in case". Rarely have to use it but it is some insurance, especially on soft ground.
Yupp, I'm gonna have to figure something especially after watching some of the hi lift jack failing videos LOL too scary

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It won't fit in the receiver. At least not enough that I'd be comfortable lifting with.

And I haven't been able to find any extensions. I've seen pictures of extension that people have made, but not to buy

Tom,
This is the extension I was talking about, thinking about it further it doesn't really seem like a safe idea for an expedition at all but they are out and you should be able to find them on various websites and possibly eBay if you're look for one.
13077b79e489a6f908900aea5a152b7e.jpg

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, hi-lifts have the potential to go wrong quickly.

About 15 years ago me and a friend were eff'ing around with an old Samurai parts truck I had picked up and the hi-lift got away on him and slammed the handle into his face. Put a nasty gash in the brow over his eye. My wife ended up stitching him up in the kitchen. Any cut on the head seems to create a torrent of blood...

I used one of my hi-lifts a few weeks ago to take out some old fence posts. Forgot how much of a PITA they are to jack with.

Anyway...

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom,
This is the extension I was talking about, thinking about it further it doesn't really seem like a safe idea for an expedition at all but they are out and you should be able to find them on various websites and possibly eBay if you're look for one.
13077b79e489a6f908900aea5a152b7e.jpg

As soon as you start getting any height on the jack the beam of the jack will start moving inwards towards the truck and into the sheet metal. For extra fun it will likely start twisting to the side at the same time. On pavement it might be ok.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As soon as you start getting any height on the jack the beam of the jack will start moving inwards towards the truck and into the sheet metal. For extra fun it will likely start twisting to the side at the same time. On pavement it might be ok.
Definitely too scary