What haappened ? Lots of fluid on inside of rear wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
What am I looking at ? I haven't really been driving my big guy too much lately, and when I did go for a ride, and then backed it up on my driveway today I noticed this horrible sight.... It's the rear passenger side...Is it a brake line fail, or an axle seal or something? I'm OK with most of the main engine mechanical stuff, but this is new to me.... any help or a general steer in the right direction is appreciated...

IMG_2384_zps037tceev.jpg

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's one of those. I'd suspect brake fluid because of how easy it appears to flow.

Pull the wheel and get a better look.

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The seals are shot. Pretty common so you will find plenty of video online.

The drum/rotors have to come off (on mine this was a PIA), the rear diff cover has to be removed (MAKE SURE the fluid refill plug can be removed before doing so) and the axles have to be disconnected to pull them to replace the seals. I did not replace the bearings when I did this job.

You may or may not need new drum/rotors. You will need new parking brake shoes because the old ones will be fluid soaked. This is a good time to inspect, disassemble and clean the pb mechanisms.

You will end up doing a differential fluid change.

This is not a difficult repair, just a little miserable.

Video is tedious but will give you an idea what you are up against:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKcK6WqSmtU

spt87a

Reaction score
Plug

If the rear axle fluid fill plug will NOT come out, there is a backup method to get fluid in the axle. Pull out the speed sensor which is on top and put the fluid in that opening.

It is harder to get the correct level doing it this way but it can be done (had to do it this way on my Ranger but Expedition is similar).

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If a Teflon seal is available I would recommend those over the standard seal.
On the buses I worked on the reg seal would last about 1 year. National lasted longer than SKF.

OP
OP
Lane24

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Thanks all :) Diff was leaking , replaced rear axle seals , new brake rotors, pads, and ebrake shoes replaced.... phew....... i have been driving my Jeeps so much lately, I really should have paid more attention to my Expedition.... poor ol' girl.... all fixed up now though :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition