What oil/filter do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
U

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So about 15 years ago, Fram got hammered in several head-to-head filter competitions. They were basically considered "do not use" filters. Has Fram improved since then?

I can not intelligently answer this at this time, but, I will find an answer and get back with you

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
So about 15 years ago, Fram got hammered in several head-to-head filter competitions. They were basically considered "do not use" filters. Has Fram improved since then?

I remember that too, that's why I avoid Fram. Cause their standards were low then it tells me that even if they improve they will attempt to take any short cut possible to reduce cost and remain profitable. Same goes to Hyundai and Kia, even though they improved since I'm still stuck with their old ways will eventually come back one way or another.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been using regular orange body Fram oil filters, in 3 different 5.0 Mustangs, 2 Lincoln mark 7's both 5.0 engines, along with many customers cars. I've never had a engine noise or any issues. In the past I've always used conventional Castrol oil, either 10/40 or 20/50. We never get below 36 degrees in San Francisco. My mileage on these vehicles varied, but my 1982 Mustang went from 89k to 180k when I sold it, with 0 issues. Theirs better of everything out there, but it's one of the cheaper items that I've had no issues with. Been using them for 30 years plus. My Eddie Bauer has been using the pumpkin colored filter for 22k miles, and 5 oil changes. Got a 6 pack of their premium synthetic filters on the way. They got to be better than the basic. In the old days I would hack saw one open, but I drain them and toss them now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Fram filter in the shop (~2 yo) that I'll likely never use. If I get some free time next week I'll throw it in the bandsaw and see if quality has improved.

From what I remember of the problems with the Frams the internals were so poorly made the oil flow circuit was basically just a suggestion and relief valve was unlikely to work in any scenario.

Things must have improved since then...?

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
next time you go to an auto parts store grab a gram XG2 and a Mobil M1-101... Tell me if you feel the difference.

OP
OP
U

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to start a spreadsheet and track everything stated in the thread. No poster names, just specific products so I can research each one and apply findings to them in a manner that is easily understandable and not confusing.

Thank you to everyone for their input thus far!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you guys ever see one of the early British oil filters, they looked like a roll of toilet paper, and somehow they worked. Probably explains one of the reasons the British cars engines failed so early, usually under 100k, and my 240 z went 180k. My Datsun had a spin on filter, and guess what filter I used? Fram orange! When I worked on motorcycles a few years back, we stocked Fram, but with the brand new big bore high performance bikes like Suzuki Hayabusa, and top Hondas, I would stop by dealership and pick up Oem filter. That was on recommendation of people that knew. Their comment was that the Fram didn't have a drain back valve. Being these were first 600 mile services, I didn't want to chance anything. But who knows, without doing one bike with a Fram and the other with a Suzuki filter, and tearing into filter and motor, checking for wear, and debris in filter, we just had to go by faith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fran has a glued bottom to the media filter. Several have been cut open through the years. The quality of Fram was lacking compared to other brands.

The weight of a filter has nothing to do with quality. Most of the weight attributes to the case thickness and over all size.

Pick an oil based off of your knowledge and personal experience.

I showed that Dino oil has kept my truck alive for 370K miles.

I have run Dello 400 in my 99 PSD. I sold it with 325xxx miles. Current owner has 550xxx miles on it currently.

My father in law had a 96 PSD with 700xxx miles when he gave it to his daughter. Dello400

Take care of your vehicle and it will take care of you.

CJ