What to look for when buying a gen 1 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dardenja

Reaction score
The Issues With My 2000 EB Expedition

I purchased a 2000 EB Expedition back in February 2013 with 138000 miles. The issues that I had to address are as follows:

1. Ball Joints (Upper and Lower) for the left and right side.
2. Heater Core (That was a pain in the butt)
3. The ABS sensor light is on.
4. If you have a sunroof ensure that it is not leaking.
5. The rear door locks don't always unlock. You have to do it manually. Sometimes the rear doors do not open from the inside.

The truck is running strong. I drove her down to NC and back up to MD and I am loving the no car note factor. Hopefully she'll be around for a while.

mocrawlin

Reaction score
The odometer flickering on and off... its bad solder points on the guage board.

Anyone have a "how to" artical to fix that? mine is doing it. also, i dont have a door ajar light, but none of my interior lights or running board lights come on when any door is open. lol

mnoutdoos

Reaction score
It's been said, but here's my list:

Rust - Bottom of door seams, rear trailing arms, radiator support, quarter panel fenders

Front Sway Bar Linkage - often goes 'missing' (rusts away?)

Upper & Lower Ball Joints - Front suspension wears out quickly, most people don't replace before selling

Exhaust Manifold Leak - due to warped manifold and/or broken studs; pretty common

exhaust man. leak here. any fix it advice?? sounds terrible

mnoutdoos

Reaction score
Up North, keep an eye out for the underside rotting out. I bought my Expo and didn't think to look underneath since it was so clean. Put it on the hoist a few days later for an oil change, and there's 2 cross-members that were completely rotted away. Nothing a bit of flat steel won't fix, but still a pain in the ass

agree! i'm in minnesota and it is rusted and rotted beyond belief.

hortonguy

Reaction score
Oil cooler problems mine was mixing oil and coolant. easy fix and great way to get a good deal on a truck. I just deleated mine and now the filter is on the block.

ks10308

Reaction score
DON'T LET THEM TOUCH THE TRANNY! My mechanic tells me a power flush will blow seals in the transmission. The only thing you need to do on a tranny service in a vehicle this old is drop and clean out the pan, change the filter, then put it back together and refill it. It's just as easy as changing the engine oil. Make sure you wipe the greasy gray glob out of the pan, too. The only thing you'll need that you won't use on a regular oil change is a 3/8 universal joint with your ratchet. Fluid is $7 a quart (times 5 or 6 quarts) and the filter is $12. You can reuse the stock gasket or use the gasket that comes in the filter kit.
Granted the whole system takes around 12 quarts, but you just need to replace the fluid that you discard when you clean out the pan.
This worked for me. My transmission was whining badly and it was starting to slip when I'd take off from a red light. When I changed the filter and five quarts of fluid, all the tranny issues vanished faster than last week's paycheck.

It's hard to say if the pumpkins need drained and refilled. I'd probably go ahead since you don't know if they've ever had water leak into them from being submerged.

He's right, DO NOT touch the transmission. My father was a black cab driver in the 80s and 90s so he knew his lincoln/ford stuff. He said every time he got the transmission flushed or cleaned, it failed 15-20K miles later. Fords are known to have great engines but pretty bad transmissions. He had about a half a dozen lincolns (and a mercury), and on all of them the transmissions failed before 200k and the ones he had cleaned/flushed whatever, they failed much sooner. He even took it to a shop in nyc that was probably one of the best tranny shops in the city and his cars were well maintained since he was a decent honest black can. Be very careful on that, My expedition has 141K and i never touched the transmission, only added some tranny fluid.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
If you need a little more pep I would look for one of these under the hood. :flamingdevil:

005_zps5310702b.jpg

Warning: Would recommed built tranny to handle the additional torque and the transfer case may need more frequent servicing. :(

99EB4x4

Reaction score
defective plug on the blinker multi function switch. individual wires can easily come unclipped and work their way out the back causing fast blinker only middle tail light and other problems... maybe the reason expeditions catch fire since there is a wire that is energized at all times in that plug and wires falling out.... this should be a recall. I fixed mine by pushing all the wires firmly in and shooting a little hot glue around the wires on the back of the plug.

Last edited:

Pedition2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased a 2000 EB Expedition back in February 2013 with 138000 miles. The issues that I had to address are as follows:

1. Ball Joints (Upper and Lower) for the left and right side.

2. Heater Core (That was a pain in the butt)

3. The ABS sensor light is on.

4. If you have a sunroof ensure that it is not leaking.

5. The rear door locks don't always unlock. You have to do it manually. Sometimes the rear doors do not open from the inside.

The truck is running strong. I drove her down to NC and back up to MD and I am loving the no car note factor. Hopefully she'll be around for a while.

Same year and almost exact mileage on the one I just got. Luckily the previous owner, and only owner, had the majority of big stuff replaced by the dealer. The only issue I have is the rear of the truck around corners feels like it's sliding, and the whole truck feels like it's going to tip on its side in corners also. Plan is to replace the shocks, and possibly the trailing arms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk