Why an Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
daughter bought a 98eb4x4 cheap as a first vehicle with 370k original klicks (so i'm told from the second owner)

she drove it ~ 5 years & ~ 110k klicks with no major issues & provided excellent service

she then went new so expy became mine which i will be keeping & looking for another,

parts are a dream new or used including major components and independent rear suspension options is a huge plus/bonus to me

Last edited:

tpndrcn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We had an 05' Supercrew and acquired a small utility trailer so decided that we could live without the pickup and with our 4th child it just seemed to make sense to get a Expedition EL.

So we got an 08 EL and couldn't love it more. The independent rear suspension makes it seem like you're on a cloud. Also right away we noticed how incredibly quiet it is inside the cabin. It's very easy for kids to get in and out of and plenty of cargo space! We even used it on the 4th of July once when bugs were bad and just folder down the third row and "camped out!" Highly recommended!

Last edited:

HTR21

Reaction score
Was actually looking at new F150's with camper top and carpeted bedliner for hauling the dogs. Why not haul the dogs in air conditioned comfort?

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bought a 2012 EL XLT 3 years ago with 24K miles. Needs? 4500# boat (dry) - with trailer, full tank of gas and full load of gear approaching 7000#. Have a bud who has had an excursion, then a 2011 Expedition and loved the Expedition. As others have stated, GMs engineering lags Fords. The price was a good bit cheaper used than a comparable used Chevy. Have had no regrets - it's towed a bunch (including my son's 6500# camper), quiet and very smooth on the highway. For taking passengers or gear it has unbelievable space (we call it the behemoth). Only issue was leaking struts discovered right out of warranty - Ford wouldn't do squat (no longer a loyalty company) so I put Bilsteins in (lifetime warranty). Will do it again, but hope to keep this a long time.

SWWAFordGuy

Reaction score
My first 'real' vehicle was a Ford Bronco II. Loved it but there really wasn't a lot of play in the driver's seat as it didn't move a lot forward or back and passengers and cargo were a bit limited. Then along came marriage and a child so that was traded in for an Explorer. Really liked the Explorer but it was limited with cargo space and passengers but not at bad as the Bronco II. When Ford offered the Expedition I was like 'yeah, I have to look at those.'

Found one at auction from a rental car company, I know, one never knows how abused it could be. But, they had all the rental and maintenance records. Turns out it never really rented because of its size and the location it offered at. Not a lot of travelers wanted a large SUV in a city like Seattle due to narrow streets, traffic or whatever. So anyway, I became the proud owner of an Expedition and love every minute of it. Plenty of space for passengers and cargo. No open bed that can get rained on and in, tinted windows in the rear, rear A/C, a lift gate that keeps the rain off you when loading and unloading and plenty of power to get you through snow, heavy rain and off pavement. Looked at potential replacements for it but if its not an Expy, I'm not interested.

The Swagonmaster

Reaction score
Had to upgrade from the 2000 Explorer EB w/5.0 when we traded our popular trailer. 2007 Expedition Limited is total luxury for pulling our new (to us) 23ft travel trailer.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
always had crew cab pickups, got older and wanted a bit of better ride, plus lots of room for the dogs,
if excursions were still made...no brainer
i have found that having room for five more people in the back is nice on pasta sundays.
ride is so much better than the 150 crew cab it replaced and mpg is better even with the 3.73 rear and same engine.
wish they had thrown in more the f150 safety stuff, this is a family truckster.
and finally the deal...16 expy was more car for the money compared to the 16 f150

espeed

Reaction score
I had a '13 Expy and sold it. BIG mistake. Had a succession of 2 more vehicles-both GM's--and
purchased a '16 Limited last December. Green Gem with the 22's. I looked and drove everything from Jeep Cherokees, Caddy Escalades, Tahoes, Durangos, Yukons, Acadias, and Toyota 4Runners. Bought the Ford because of the tow rating, Indy rear and it just drives better than all of the others. Price was also much easier. Best of all--I can see out of it in all directions! I have installed a K & N cold air pipe/filter system--these cold air systems really do make a difference--especially when towing a 7500# trailer.
If you haven't driven the 15/16/17 with the 3.5, go and drive one. Big difference in torque and all around smoothness. I will keep this one.

Rougerocco

Reaction score
Had a 2000 Expedition, lost it in divorce. Got a 2004 Excursion diesel, 250K miles later just sold it and got a 2010 Expedition. I guess I like big Ford SUV's!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2