WNY Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2003 XLT. Poked at my "rocker panels" a bit, this fell down. Can see all the way through to underside of Expy now. Wheel wells don't look much better. Need to understand how to prevent this in my 2014. It doesn't rust from the outside, rusts from inside. And they put big holes on inside to collect water & salt brine? And the paint on inside of "rocker panel" is not real impressive!!
View attachment 24761
View attachment 24762
View attachment 24763

Change my name to MrRust?

That's a lot of rust. Are you going to repair it or just let it go?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to replace the passenger rocker 3 years ago. How is your radiator core support? They rot pretty bad. Mine is rusted but truck runs without a problem. A guy had a video where he welded three brackets under the support and it worked. It's been over 2 years and still going strong

Radiator support still looks brand new paint and all, same with body mounts. Only rust is these rocker panels, I think they fixed the radiator support and body mount issues on the 3rd gen though.... obviously not the rockers.

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
That's a lot of rust. Are you going to repair it or just let it go?
Mostly letting it go. Not going to throw money at a losing cause. I will do some Gorilla Tape repairs and possibly some other no cost jury-rig last ditch stopgap patches. As long as its safe and gets me out & back again, I'll milk the 2003 for all its worth. Beater.
The more it rusts, lighter it gets, better MPG!

With the second row seats & the big 3rd row seat gone, its kind of like a cargo van ...
...... too bad side doors dont open wider though
IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
Came up with the best way to flush out the rocker panels. I stuck a garden hose in the big holes on the inside and turned the water on FULL. Did this in each hole (4) on both sides. Lots of crud came out and now fully flushed out prior to the Krown treatment next week. I took a few before pictures of the underside of the vehicle and will post those along with after pictures, once Krown is done.
IMG_0119.JPG
Car wash all you want, it wont get inside those rocker panels to clean them out. The road salt, will however find its way in there. My guess is thats how they rust out.

I also dropped the spare tire today & hosed that area clean. The steel rim gets fugly over time and collects crud. I cleaned up the tire/rim and I'm gonna touch up any rust spots on the rim and hanger & lubricate the mechanism. I'll leave the tire off while they do the Krown treatment so they have easy access to the frame. Looks nice being wide open now.

Last edited:

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Came up with the best way to flush out the rocker panels. I stuck a garden hose in the big holes on the inside and turned the water on FULL. Did this in each hole (4) on both sides. Lots of crud came out and now fully flushed out prior to the Krown treatment next week. I took a few before pictures of the underside of the vehicle and will post those along with after pictures, once Krown is done.
View attachment 24956
Car wash all you want, it wont get inside those rocker panels to clean them out. The road salt, will however find its way in there. My guess is thats how they rust out.

This looks like a great idea to get rid of the salt. Can anyone think of any reason we should not do it?
Thanks, JC

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
Had 2014EL Krown treated today. Just swung by shop and there is "oil" dripping. I'm gonna let it sit there for a couple days to save my driveway the insult. I'm gonna go bonkers if they didn't soak the Rokker panels well enough to suit me. I want it better marinated than a Jamaican Chicken! I think I'll set myself up with Fluid Film for the occasional refresh ...

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good technique on the rocker panel cleaning there Polarizer, I’ve heard of that before. Or just wait until your rockers are gone and they won’t hold salt lol. I’ve asked about the stickers too, not a bad idea.... the drains for the rockers are those little ribs that go up and down between the inner and outer at the bottom lip not those holes. ALL the factory stickers fall off within a few months and it’s been like that forever, I guess ford doesn’t think they are needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
Repaired wheel well rust on the 2003 Rustbucket, w/Gorilla tape.
Before & after. This will last at least 2 years easily.
IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0173.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett