WNY Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you apply a layer inside the body and that stuck to the outside tape? Let us know.

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
That looks pretty good. I don't know about lasting 2 years but it is easy to reapply if needed.
Reason I say 2 years is, been doing this for about 5 years in various places. After 3 years the tape starts to disintegrate.

All GTape is on outside, inside too rusty and not a good surface (or no surface) to tape to. Tape holds really well to the plastic and painted black body. Short 90 degree & then 180 degree folds at bottom, back onto itself.

I've built a lot of things out of GTape. Made a cooler using that and numerous other parts that better than a Yeti and cost about $20.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
Someone reminded me to oil the gas fill tube area, so I did that today. Sprayed Fluid Film on it, put my hand up there to rub it around the back & it rained rust chunks. Took as must rust off as easy then Had to respray.

Theres a third tube there, I have no idea what its for but appears disconnected .... hmmm
IMG_0411.JPG

in the engine area, I hit a few spots ... such as this
(I don't like corrosion)
IMG_0417.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
Latest rust casualty on my 2003XLT. I'll probably just wire it up. The exhaust is now riding on the frame & coupling the exhaust system vibration to the cabin. Sounds like a big problem at times.
IMG_0423.JPG

While down there I peeked at the spare tire, which has never been off. I do not think its would be a good idea to use that for driving. Not even sure I can drop it now. Looks welded on. No point in lugging this POS around like that. Maybe I'll buy a used wheel and stick it up on the roof? For anyone with an Expy thats more than 5 years old (unless you live in Tucson), probably good to Fluid Film that up to prevent this.
I'm not a big fan of rust. Big fan of Fluid Film = yes.
IMG_0424.JPG

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take it to the dealer, will be covered under the 20 year warranty.

In all seriousness corrosion is a part of life, esp here in the northeast. Nothing lasts forever, and for a 2003 in New York it looks about as I’d expect unless garage kept and washed constantly. That trucks still got some life left in it. Rust did my muffler in on my 2007, I replaced it with a stainless steel one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
Temp to permanent fix for tailpipe hanger using "parts I had laying around". Solid attachment. Will last about 1 year, probably. Tailpipe fixed firmly in position. Cost = $0.00
IMG_0428.JPG

Wrestling match to drop spare. Rusted into position. Screw would not turn, had to PBlast. T welded on! Glad I did this in driveway vs side of road. Tire/wheel is OK to keep using as spare. Banged the rust off .... with a spray coat of plasti-dip, will be good to go.
IMG_0426.JPG

Frame looks good down there. Surprisingly good.:cheers:
IMG_0431.JPG

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Temp to permanent fix for tailpipe hanger using "parts I had laying around". Solid attachment. Will last about 1 year, probably. Tailpipe fixed firmly in position. Cost = $0.00
View attachment 27640

Wrestling match to drop spare. Rusted into position. Screw would not turn, had to PBlast. T welded on! Glad I did this in driveway vs side of road. Tire/wheel is OK to keep using as spare. Banged the rust off .... with a spray coat of plasti-dip, will be good to go.
View attachment 27641

Frame looks good down there. Surprisingly good.:cheers:
View attachment 27642
Check your body mounts, especially by the radiator. AAA will not mount a rusty spare. I bought a hard spare tire cover, off a Toyota FJ cruiser, on Craigslist($25). It fit my spare and keeps the wheel clean. During the winter the new spare, now goes into the back(no 3rd row).

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
Just read an interesting book on Rust & Corrosion.

RUST The Longest War by Jonathan Waldman

Learned a few things, such as there is an internet store that specializes in products for that
https://www.theruststore.com/

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
One year later (see post #29 for a year ago) the Gorilla Tape body work is holding up well!!
IMG_0815.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire