Won't turn over Battery ok

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StuntMan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tried to start up my 4.6 and won't even turn over. The battery indicator is green. So I'm stumped why the starter won't turn. All that happened is all lights on dashboard goes out and click.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those built-in hydrometers are only showing the charge of one cell. So they are basically useless. If you have a voltmeter read the battery voltage at the posts then at the terminal clamps. They should be at least 12.4v for a battery at 75% of charge.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI - a bad connection will show up as a drop in voltage for those of us that use meters.
For those that don't have meters, these connections need to be clean and tight. This is also one place you don't want to use dielectric grease.

OP
OP
StuntMan

StuntMan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: I got an attempted jump start. Still the same problem and tried bridging the solenoid with a screw screw driver, and still won't start.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have bad connections it doesn't matter how much battery is there. The power needs to get to and from the load.
Meter time and you can try hitting the starter body with a hammer. One good solid whack.

I'm going to assume that the "no start" is the engine isn't turning/cranking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
StuntMan

StuntMan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have bad connections it doesn't matter how much battery is there. The power needs to get to and from the load.
Meter time and you can try hitting the starter body with a hammer. One good solid whack.

I'm going to assume that the "no start" is the engine isn't turning/cranking.
Yes soon as turn the ignition key one "click" and all dashboard and hood light go out. As soon as release the ignition key. Those lights come back on.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Meter time. A half way decent one will run you about $25-50, doesn't have the safety features of the better meters. Ok to use on low voltages but can burn or kill you on higher voltages should you make a mistake taking measurements.

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll take a shot...How old is this battery?

It amazes me how many guys reason "... It can't be the battery. This one was brand new when I installed it seven years ago."

Last edited: