Truck going in for surgery tomorrow. :/

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I bought my 04, the previous owner was very scared of the truck, due to rust on the radiator support, where the chassis mounts to the body. In looking at it, I knew if I had the radiator support replaced, it would be fine. In talking to my mechanic who was a full-time Ford tech previously, he said it is the most common areas for these trucks to rust, and wasn't surprised at all. Sickeningly, he said he would sometimes see them come in 3-4 years old with signs of rust in that one area. Ironically, it is the only rust on the entire truck, other than the expected surface rust on the chassis.

Expyrust1.jpg

Expyrust2.jpg

It has gotten marginally worse since these pictures, which were from ~Sept when I bought it. You can push through one of them pretty easily if you try. :eek:

I received quotes from $500-$1,100 for the repair, one shop wanting to cut and splice the rusted area rather than replace the entire support. Only problem is, none of them could find an aftermarket support from their suppliers. I ended up going with the only one who would give me a solid quote- $500 plus I supply the support. I found the support on fleabay for $89 shipped, and received it in 3 DAYS!

Going into the shop today, and he should have it until mid next week. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. :burnout:

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Good luck with the surgery!

Hope your expy pulls through OK. :)

OP
OP
K

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The body shop sent me a few pictures, noting that it was worse than it originally appeared.. YIKES!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Where did you get your new radiator support from??

I may have to do this!

OP
OP
K

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where did you get your new radiator support from??

I may have to do this!

Find out the ford part number for your truck, then search eBay for it. Mine was $89 shipped, seller martinsautoparts

100% satisfied thus far, will update if the shop says there was any fitment issues...

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Damn!!

A lot are advertised there. Wonder how many are purchased due to accidents vs rust?

When I was working on mine it seemed to me the lower radiator gasket/seal... whatever you want to call it was holding moisture in. I removed mine and left it off after I treated the rust.

I am sure its there to help air flow through the radiator as opposed to around it but I would prefer to let the water drain and lose a little airflow.

Just for the record my engine temps have not ventured outside the norm since my build which is when the gasket was removed.

OP
OP
K

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In progress shots! The truck is not as far along as I had hoped (I need it back!), but it is great to see in process!

The shop also showed me yesterday, that the new unit is a superior unit than it had from the factory. I was shocked, being that I would assume (understandably) that the replacement aftermarket unit would be equal to or slightly inferior to the original ford one. The replacement is thicker in some spots than the Ford one.

Last edited: