'03 EB front suspension parts - suppliers/brands to use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all-

I have looked and looked, I have never used Rock Auto, but Auto Zone sent me their direction saying they have a better selection. I looked (at Rock Auto) but I hate their website.

I'm looking for the upper control arm/ball joint and lower ball joint.

3 Q's:

- what brands do you recommend?
(I heard Moog and AC Delco are good - please let me know)

- what web site have you ordered from and worked out well?
(limited availability on Amazon, see other brand names I have never heard of)

- I was looking too at some parts at 1AAuto.com (are they any good?)

My mechanic allows me to get the parts and he charges me a very fair flat labor rate.

For S&G's I always call a Firestone to see how they compare/contrast. With my last company we used them for our F-450's, so don't get me wrong...they do good work. They offered a ballpark of about $2,000 parts/labor if this type of work needs to be done.

Please don't think I'm cutting corners, but my last mechanic helped me keep the '01 running in great shape for 4 years.

His labor is $220 and I buy the parts.

Thanks

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Amazon or Rockauto are the usual suspects... Motorcraft or Moog parts.

Btw, afaik the front suspension is straight off an F150. Some alternative brands may not be listed as compatible, but they still are. You can use 1AAuto for cross-compatibility lists, check the normal Ford/Motorcraft part, look what years of F150 it lists, then just search for parts for that year F150 instead of Expedition on other sites

2 grand is seriously freaking hilarious. Lol.

PS never use autozone oreilly etc for ANYTHING worth more than a few bucks... they use cheap generic parts at a +150% markup in house brand boxes

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Amazon or Rockauto are the usual suspects... Motorcraft or Moog parts.

Btw, afaik the front suspension is straight off an F150. Some alternative brands may not be listed as compatible, but they still are. You can use 1AAuto for cross-compatibility lists, check the normal Ford/Motorcraft part, look what years of F150 it lists, then just search for parts for that year F150 instead of Expedition on other sites

2 grand is seriously freaking hilarious. Lol.

PS never use autozone oreilly etc for ANYTHING worth more than a few bucks... they use cheap generic parts at a +150% markup in house brand boxes

Thanks.

I have bought some ceramic brake pads and windshield cleaner from AZ. Also use AZ for code check, then go shopping for parts elsewhere.

I'll call 1AAuto back tomorrow to see if there are any other kits available as you mentioned for the F150 and see if they are cross compatible. Makes sense.

Lol about Firestone, I'd go Code Brown likely if I called a dealership for these repairs/costs.

I'll give Rock Auto another shot, along with google search for Motorcraft parts. I looked and could not find a phone # for Rock though.

Appreciate it.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks.

I have bought some ceramic brake pads and windshield cleaner from AZ. Also use AZ for code check, then go shopping for parts elsewhere.

I'll call 1AAuto back tomorrow to see if there are any other kits available as you mentioned for the F150 and see if they are cross compatible. Makes sense.

Lol about Firestone, I'd go Code Brown likely if I called a dealership for these repairs/costs.

I'll give Rock Auto another shot, along with google search for Motorcraft parts. I looked and could not find a phone # for Rock though.

Appreciate it.

Phone number?

Shit, it's the digital age, nobody employs helpful people with passable reading comprehension anymore

Just search up the part, scroll down, and look

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lol, did that angle.

Some maybe more reputable companies still offer live people. One example is my credit union and another CC company - 24/7 live support - within seconds usually.

riverside

Reaction score
When you are first shopping on the site, Rock Auto seems great, until you get to the checkout stage. When I was ordering parts for doing head gaskets and a few other things on my Dodge Ram they were going to ship from FIVE separate warehouses, with each charging their own shipping fees, the shipping charges were going to be over $100 for $500 worth of parts. I have used them since for a item or two but for big orders you will likely have the same situation I did.

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
Sorry guys, been trolling for 60 days or so, just picked up an amazing 04 Expy EB. 167K on the clock, 5.4l 2v. New tranny 4 months ago.
There are 2 issues - AC doesn't work and radiator support is TOAST.
New support in, I hate it. I have a welder - I'm gonna fab my own. I'll post some pics.
AC is just a shot condenser and high pressure line.
But, I'm posting this here because all my parts came from RockAuto - yes, it can ship from a billion warehouses if your parts "matching" is all over the board. Sometimes you don't have a choice, but you cant buy a Bang & Olufsen stereo and Pioneer speakers and expect them to ship from the same place. I'm exaggerating to make a point - but I work on a LOT of different vehicles and as long as you're not going exotic I've NEVER paid more than $60 for shipping - but that was due to weight.

I also have a take off on the Gotts Mod - like the radio support, I just hated what was there.

I'm looking forward to making this Expy all that I want!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good luck to both above, thanks for the feedback.

I guess I'll take another look at Rock Auto.

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did my 04 .. if I did it again. I would use all higher quality mevotech parts from Rock auto.moog is not the moog of the past imo. and do the swaybar links while you are in there too. I had issues with the upper arm and actually mine uses an 03 based on build dates. Moog had no clue when I called tech support. Motorcraft part look up saved me;). Next is an alignment. Make sure you witness mark everything and put it back where you found it. This is not the best way since it should be preloaded but an alignment will be a bear with new parts. The stealership tried to tell me they had to redo and install cam bolts. So I told them to loosen it up and use a large pry bar and extra one hour of tech time. As for tools ... I got a loner kit from advanced Auto. I needed a pickle fork for the lower ball joint.

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And with the age salt and 2 different metals, I could not get the lower ball joint out and i swapped the whole lower arm.