03 Navi -Great Engine/trans 120K miles BUT, rust & wring issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03NavigatorGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Years ago I purchase the 03 Navi as a winter project. Purchased for a reasonable $1500, apparently not reasonable enough. It ran smoothly, performed well, no funny noises, transmission shifted smooth, body panels were original with original paint etc., but the owner said it had elec issues that his mechanic tried to fix, but couldn't figure out. (how hard could it be I thought) Thats when I joined this forum! I immediately dug into things to fix it up. I first replaced the alternator with a NEW(not rebuilt) high output alt. for a Merc. Marauder, new factory alternator/battery/starter wiring harness, and new starter. Rebuilt the front end, brakes, replaced all air suspension parts/bags/sensors arms, air pump etc., new trans. cooler & lines, new Radiator
I removed the interior to get at the body wiring, to find that there had been water intrusion from multiple areas. Ultimately, all the body cladding was covering up lots-o-rust, rockers, wheel wells, and when I went to put in the oil cooler & lines, I saw the radiator core support was barely attached because of rust. I removed and purchased a new one to install.
Then life happened, as my spouse was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and the Navi and other things took a back seat.
Current dilemma, the Navi has sat for a few years now. What to do? I no longer have the gusto to really try and track down the elec gremlins, and I now know there was plenty of water intrusion. I would still like to have a 2nd gen Navi because of its ability to get low for my spouse who now has mobility issues should the need arise to have to get into it, AND I have a TON of money in parts I could use on another non-electrical gremlin'd Nav or Expedition (one that might have the 4 wheel airbags suspension)
ALL that being said, I know 03-04 are easy swap engine/trans, but I have seen a nice 05 Expedition EB with bad engine and an 06 Navi with a bad engine also. Could my 03 5.4L 2v engine be swapped in place of an 05-06 3v engine? or should I only look for 03-04 models?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anything can be adapted, but you've got to be pretty good with wiring and I some cases improvising. The 05/06 Expedition/Navigators have the most engine issues as you know from being here on the forum. If it was me and I had the space, I'd find another Gator that you could swap your parts into, and scrap the rest. You'll definitely need the air springs and compressor.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Current dilemma, the Navi has sat for a few years now. What to do? I no longer have the gusto to really try and track down the elec gremlins, ...
Then DON'T BUY ANOTHER PROJECT !

... AND I have a TON of money in parts I could use on another non-electrical gremlin'd Nav or Expedition (one that might have the 4 wheel airbags suspension)
Are you talking about stripping the newish part off the '03 and reusing them ? Probably really NOT worth the effort !

The air spring suspension are know for having many, many issues. A lot of people just replace it with metal springs because they are tired of chasing leaks.

The ultimate solution came in 2014 when they went to Nivomat adaptive hydraulic load-leveling suspension system. The truck can not "squat", but it does ride level.