03 navi-lots of questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stangant

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently purchased a 2003 lincoln navigator. I have since de-badged it and basically just fixed or did maintenance... still actually in progress.

Please take into account these are all serious questions and I would love to do each one of them and have the ability to do so.

I would like to do something more up my ally with this truck down the road a bit and it has over 177k miles now so I want to start planing for a new engine and do some exterior things.

Basic questions:

-Anyone ever had problems taking their key out? my shifter doen't seem to pick up that I am in park unless I hit the shifter on its head. help with this please!

-What ford/lincoln/mercury vehicles interchange with this suv? I am referring to things not obvious like any f150 or 250 parts...

-The previous owner swapped the airbag suspension to coils but I would like it more low.... should I go cheap (preferred) and either heat them or cut them? Or get a new set and what set do you recommend?

-switching to older style lug pattern, I really want to switch over to the F150 lighting bolt pattern that came on the 1st gen navi and expy's... can this be done??

-front end swap, I really like the 3rd gen front end. is this a possible swap. link shows what I would like if you need a reference.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/2007-Ford-Expedition-EL-Limited.jpg

Harder questions:

-ok so main question here is in the engine swap... I would basically like to pick up a Lighting engine 5.4 2 valve with supercharger and drop it in. Has this been done and how hard would it be?

- rachet shifter anyone done this in the suv? I am looking for better shift and better control.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anything can be done, it is just a matter of how much can you invest?

The only thing that makes sense is the engine swap - see Toms89 for that and his trials and tribulations. To me, and I'm old school, is just a waste of money.
Now if you wanted to make a sleeper that is another story....Hey Tom chime in on this.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stangant

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These really shouldn't be hard questions. I'm having a hard time find out very much info at all but this site seems to have a lot of mod work going on. So I figured yall would know.

Also, what do you mean the engine swap is the only thing I asked to make sense? I also have maintenance issue items located above.

B

bedrck46

what maintenance issue are you referring to for as I read your post you seem to use the word SWAP often The only maintenance issue I notice is the key issue and that would fall under repair not maintenance. And as you posted "lot of mod work" which is just what it says. That's not maintenance!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Manually shifting a 4R100 is not recommended. It's much harder on the tranny due to the way the shift is completed vs the pcm commanding it.

I do not know all the details but even highly modded lightnings running beefed up 4R100's recommend letting it shift itself. You can program the shift point where every you like, just do not manual shift is what I have been told.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
A lightning swap should be a direct bolt in as far as fit. Same chassis as an expedition. The question would be the pcm and wiring harness. Not sure of differences between 4v and 2v there. Fuel pump would need changed to higher output unit.

4wd I assume?? 2wd you can swap the whole drivetrain including pcm. 4wd you cannot and the stock pcm would require a custom tune.

DOHC 32 valve V8??

If so that would be a great starting point for performance mods. Just not as simple and more custom.. Many lightning owners have swapped in navigator heads but generally they go the turbo route. There has been at least one lighting owner that used navigator heads with whipple blower. I believe he had adapter plates made to mate 2v intake to 4v heads.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stangant

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Tom, yea I was just reading the trans isn't that strong. I have someone checking if i can convert my livewire I used on my mustang over to the navi.

My suv is only a 2wd. one of the reasons I purchased it.. didn't want to extra weight. I really want to go with the 2 valve... for me it is simplicity and cost. I also want to stay with the top mount supercharger.

Goats

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A 4v head has a hell lot more flow than a 2v head. I do think kenne bell has a blower for a 4v 5.4.