Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
03NavigatorGuy

03NavigatorGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced the Neutral safety switch AKA: Transmission Range Sensor, and after doing so. The engine will not start in either park and/or neutral. Is there another sensor that is now blocking this from happening?

NOTE: With the "new" temp wire, the transmission selector indicator illuminates, the brake release for the transmission now works again, and so do the turn signals.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a procedure to follow in lining up the range selector to the neutral position. Did you follow it?

Ahhh... the importance of only working on one issue at a time...

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you replaced it with a Ford part the service manual says to use a special tool. You may be able to adjust it by checking continuity with the plug disconnected between pins 10 & 12 in both park and neutral.

OP
OP
03NavigatorGuy

03NavigatorGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sometimes I get OBDII to connect to my scanner, and sometimes it doesn't. For example yesterday I got my scanner to read the codes, and today I went to clear them and it wouldn't connect.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'll need the diagrams that show the DLC on them, usually the power distribution diagrams have it. Check the engine controls diagrams, sometimes it is on them also.

OP
OP
03NavigatorGuy

03NavigatorGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, here is what I have, I hope they are "somewhat" legible!

Attachments

• DataLinkConnectorOverview1.pdf
    128.3 KB · Views: 4
  • ISOBusOverview1.pdf
    67.3 KB · Views: 3
  • SCPBusOverview1.pdf
    88 KB · Views: 3
  • ACPBusOverview1.pdf
    110.7 KB · Views: 3
  • USBBusOverview1.pdf
    105.8 KB · Views: 3

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's a DLC pin out diagram. Does your DTC scan tool light up when you plug it into the Expy's OBDII port ? It should, even without the ignition key on. It won't read any codes unless the key is on, but it should at least light up and come to life. I think it's fuse 41 if you're not getting any power at the OBD port. What brand is your reader ? Is it hardwired? or one of those Bluetooth type ?
With your volt meter measure pin 16, should be 12v or battery voltage. Check that pin 4 and pin 5 have less than 5 ohm resistance to ground.

UFBqEP.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
03NavigatorGuy

03NavigatorGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I have always gotten power from 16, even when other things were getting power. The problem is the it won't communicate with the scanner, and sometimes it will, but usually it won't!