'04 - Squeaks & Rattles - Long

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jheller

Reaction score
door rattle TSB needed

Since the door rattle problem obvious affects many owners, myself included, there should be a TSB on it.

Does anyone know the exact TSB# related to the fix and where I can get a full copy to take to the dealer.

I've had it in twice for the problem and they claim they don't hear it.

ExpyBob

Reaction score
Body - Rubbing/Ticking Noise From Doors

TSB 05-7-1

04/18/05

RATTLE/RUBBING/TICKING NOISE FROM DOORS

FORD:
2003-2005 Expedition

LINCOLN:
2003-2005 Navigator

ISSUE
Some 2003-2005 Expedition/Navigator vehicles may exhibit a rattle/rubbing/ticking noise from one or more doors. This may be due to movement of door relative to the latch striker plate.

ACTION
Drive vehicle and manually pull door inboard while noise is present. If the noise decreases, repair per the following Service Procedure and vehicle build date information.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE PERFORM THESE REPAIRS ON THE AFFECTED DOOR ONLY.

NOTE CHECK VEHICLE'S FULL WARRANTY HISTORY IN OASIS. IF ANY DOORS WERE PREVIOUSLY REPAIRED USING SSM 17734, DO NOT REPLACE LATCH(S) OR DOOR OPENING WEATHERSTRIP(S) WITH THE PART NUMBERS LISTED IN THIS TSB. IT WILL ONLY BE NECESSARY TO INSTALL AND/OR TUCK IN THE REVISED SHEDLIP WEATHERSTRIP(S).

NOTE DO NOT RESET/ADJUST DOORS IF DOOR CLOSING EFFORTS INCREASE AFTER NEW PARTS ARE INSTALLED. DOOR CLOSING EFFORTS WILL DECREASE AS NEW WEATHERSTRIPS AGE, TYPICALLY WITHIN A FEW WEEKS.

VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 5/12/03:

^ Replace door opening weatherstrip. Part Number 3L1Z-7820708-BA (R or L Front), 3L1Z-78253A10-BA (R or L Rear).

^ Replace shedlip with new bubble type shedlip weatherstrip(s). Part Number 4L1Z-7851222-AB (RF) and 4L1Z-7851223-AB (LF).

^ Tuck the shedlip weatherstrip under the windshield side molding (along A-pillar), using a nylon blade (Figure 1).

^ Replace latch(s) with revised part. Part Number 4L1Z-78219A64-AB (RF), 4L1Z-78264A00-AB (RR), 4L1Z-78219A65-AB (LF), 4L1Z-78264A01-AB (LR).

VEHICLES BUILT 5/13/2003 THROUGH 7/21/03:

^ Replace shedlip with new bubble type shedlip weatherstrip(s). Part Number 4L1Z-7851222-AB (RF) and 4L1Z-7851223-AB (LF).

^ Tuck the shedlip weatherstrip under the windshield side molding (along A-pillar), using a nylon blade (Figure 1).

^ Replace latch(s) with revised part. Part Number 4L1Z-78219A64-AB (RF) 4L1Z-78264A00-AB (RR), 4L1Z-78219A65-AB (LF), 4L1Z-78264A01-AB (LR).

VEHICLES BUILT 7/22/2003 THROUGH 6/23/2004:

VEHICLES BUILT AFTER 6/23/04:

^ Tuck the existing shedlip weatherstrip under the windshield side molding (along A-pillar), using a nylon blade (Figure 1).

Parts Block

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
7851222 41

danketchpel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A follow up on my "window creaking" issue.

On my first visit to the dealer regarding this issue they replaced the "window runs", not sure exactly which part he refered to. I need to see if the part number is on the receipt. Result = no improvement.

On my second visit,
I took a printout of the TSB listed above to my dealer. They told me that they had done the material replacement but that the doors were not adjusted correctly. They tightend up the fit by moving the striker plate in and that fixed the problem, well mostly. At least it pointed my in the right direction.

I actually readjusted them myself after I got it home because the drivers side was too tight (had to really slam the door) and the passenger side wasn't tight enough (could still hear some noise). I loosened the drivers door and tightened the passenger door and now all is well. Decent closing and no more creaking noise.