'08 Exped will not start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is interesting how you can get conflicting info on the web, who would figure???
Check out Dorman's web site:
Dorman Products - 590-001

According to them the application is 2004-2011 for Ford. I guess the only way to tell would be to drop the spare and see. Other threads I've read on this problem have stated a connector inside the tank burns when the fuel level drops lower than 1/4 tank.

To the OP, if you have around 100,000 miles on the Expy it wouldn't hurt to change the pump just as a preventative measure and to check the condition of the connectors. See pics in the following link:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1171069-2007-expedition-fuel-pump-driver-control-module.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

broncoremy

Reaction score
I applied 12 VDC to the pump and got nothing.

Worked at getting the fuel tank out to check the fuel pump. Have the tank out and on the ground with all connections to the tank removed, except for one ribbed, flexible vent tube that I cannot see how to disconnect from the tank. The view in the picture is from the back of the fuel tank looking forward.

How do I remove this connection from the tank so I can get it out from under the Expy?

Thank you.

the bottom caption for the picture should read:
"... goes to a connection on the middle ..."
not
"... goes to the a connection on the middle ..."

Attachments

• picture at back of fuel tank.jpg
    picture at back of fuel tank.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can't tell what type of connection was used without seeing the ends of the hose. One my first gen it was a combination of hose clamps and quick disconnects.

OP
OP
B

broncoremy

Reaction score
I do not see any type of disconnect on this line at the back of the tank. It runs under what looks like a protective shield for rocks and debris that is on the driveshaft side of the tank. Maybe I need to remove this shield?

Here is a picture of the connection I am referring to on the fuel pump.

Attachments

• fuel-pump-venting-port.jpg
    fuel-pump-venting-port.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 70

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PM with your email address and I'll send you some info. Ford used 3 types of disconnects and if you break any of them it can become expensive to fix.

OP
OP
B

broncoremy

Reaction score
The hose mentioned in my previous posts is just a vent to atmosphere. It ran up to the top of the fuel filler neck and was not connected to anything.

So, tank is out. Pump is out of the tank and it is melted like others have mentioned.

If I can get the part, it looks like it is just the pump motor that is melted.

The melted pump is marked as
Walbro
7L14-9350-CD
F10000275

Quickly searching for these part numbers did not find anything.

Anyone able to find the pump motor and replace it with success?

Attachments

• melted-fuel-pump4.jpg
    melted-fuel-pump4.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 57
  • melted-fuel-pump3.jpg
    melted-fuel-pump3.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 65
  • melted-fuel-pump2.jpg
    melted-fuel-pump2.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 53
  • melted-fuel-pump1.jpg
    melted-fuel-pump1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 57

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Ford part # for the 2008 Expedition fuel pump w/ sending unit should be.
# 8L1Z-9H307-B

Matt

OP
OP
B

broncoremy

Reaction score
Fuel pump replaced and vehicle now running. Had the Expy running for about an hour and the motor sounds fine.

I ran out of time looking for a replacement for the fuel pump itself and had to spring for the whole assembly to get the truck back on the road.

I bought the Precision Fuel Pump from Oreillys. The Fuel Pump Module Assembly is
part number A33110. I bought this one because I found it in stock locally so I could get my hands/eyes on it to compare and ensure it was the correct assembly.

There is also another similar assembly for the larger fuel tank, so be sure you get the correct one for the fuel tank size you have. That other part number for a similar Precision pump assembly is A30019. This model is for the EL Expy and, I assume, for the 33 gallon fuel tank. I was able to look them both over and they appeared similar. I went with the one that was identical, the A33110. Again, be sure you get the proper one for your tank. I have no skin in the game for Precision. I don't know them from the others but, again, I got it because I could get my eyes on those parts at the counter.

Thanks to you all for great help.