10 Speed Transmission - Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Wright

Reaction score
Approaching 55K miles on 2018 Limited, mostly highway drivin with no tranny issues. Don’t like the knob shifter, other that no complaints.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
25K on the clock and zero concerns. My 17 Expy has the 6 speed while my 19 F150 has the 10 speed. The 10 speed took a little while to get used to as it didn't seem to shift when I expected it to. It has gotten a lot better as the programing learned my driving habits. Getting in my Expy is a little nostalgic with the 6 speed. I love the 10 speed, fits the torque curve of the motor exceptionally well. The drive modes are great, Eco and Sport give you noticeably different shift points when compared to "Normal". Sure it feels very different, skips gears apparently at random (not really, it depends on the load, TPS position, mode, etc) but it sure feels this way in the beginning.

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We own a 2018 Limited, 10/18 build date, replaced a 2003 Eddie Bauer. LOVE the 10 speed. I keep the gear notification display on always. It shifts perfectly, and we have not noticed an objectionable delay R to D. We get about 20% better fuel economy, on average. Towing is superb, but I wish it would stay in Tow mode instead of making us select the mode every startup. One disappointment on the knob shifter is that we can’t seem to find a way to leave it in R with the engine off so we can use the backup lights for a few minutes.

Brian Kile

Reaction score
I've been very happy with it. In my 5 Star Tuned application, it shifts very well, other than at full throttle, I'm working on getting that figured out. If I ease my foot into it, it will snap your neck back through all the shifts and just plain fly, but if I put my foot to the floor right off the line, the shifts seem to slip/hesitate on almost every shift. I was chasing a friend of mine in a Raptor yesterday and would gain on him and then lose everything I gained every shift, which is frustrating. But overall, very happy with it, and on an approximately 400-mile trip much of which was in the 80+ mph range, I averaged over 20 mpg the whole trip!

jmiller

Reaction score
Currently in the dealership for the 2nd time for the transmission being replaced. First time the tranny went out was at 8k miles. Its a 2018 Limited with 30k miles on it. The dvd system also went out at 12k miles and they had to replace one of the headrests. While doing so they ripped my seat and did a botch stitch job trying to cover it up. Fortunately I found it before driving off and they had to replace the whole seat cover. I also had the windshield wiper sensor go out and needed replaced at 15k. Needless to say this is the worst car I've ever owned. As soon as I get this thing back I'm posting it for sale and running away from Ford forever.

PXL_20201205_212604686.jpg

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Currently in the dealership for the 2nd time for the transmission being replaced. First time the tranny went out was at 8k miles. Its a 2018 Limited with 30k miles on it. The dvd system also went out at 12k miles and they had to replace one of the headrests. While doing so they ripped my seat and did a botch stitch job trying to cover it up. Fortunately I found it before driving off and they had to replace the whole seat cover. I also had the windshield wiper sensor go out and needed replaced at 15k. Needless to say this is the worst car I've ever owned. As soon as I get this thing back I'm posting it for sale and running away from Ford forever.

View attachment 39205

What failed in the transmission? Same part both times? Better stay away from GM as they have the same one. Let us know. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donsmrs

Reaction score
My mechanic of the last 15 years or so, warned me against the late model Expedition engines. I am content with the 2014 V8, and it's something much easier repaired if needed. I keep my Expeditions (and other Fords in the past) 10 years and more. Have yet to need an extended warranty, out of the 5 Fords we've had, and really hate the unsolicited phone calls for warranty insurance. On those, I use a referee whistle. On the more persistent, I have an air horn as used on boats and during basketball games. They usually stop calling after that, for a week or more.

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2017 XLT with 6 speed and it has some shift problems since new usually with the 2-3 upshift I think it a programming issue but 2 different dealers service managers say that's the way it should be. 2-3 feels like it slips a lot before before locking into 3rd. I use the tow mode and it shifts a lot firmer.

jmiller

Reaction score
What failed in the transmission? Same part both times? Better stay away from GM as they have the same one. Let us know. Thanks.

Finally got it back on Saturday a week after being towed away. The reason for the transmission problem this time was the seal for the transmission pump had gone bad. The tech asked if I'd ever had transmission work done on it before. I replied yes..here about a yr and half ago. He gave me a dumb look and said thats probably what caused the issue. He said a lot of times when they have to pull the transmission apart and put it back together that seal doesn't sit properly. Seems like a dumb thing for them to replace the first go around. So at this point I'm not sure if its a car problem or stupid mechanics at my local dealership. Either way I'm not happy..but me being the pessimist I am with Fords to begin with I bought the extended warranty coverage that will cover me to 100k so I may just end up keeping it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65