10 Speed Transmission - Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6S1284

Reaction score
I am looking at a 2020 Expy. Currently have a 2008 that has served us well.
One of my great friends lives in Tampa and is a transmission tech at a huge Ford dealership. He thinks the latest gen 10 speeds are bad. He says they keep his team uber busy with problems. He is a die hard Ford guy and has cautioned me against it. He does not own one.

Trying to gather some opinions from people who actually own them.

Thanks for anything you can share.

Dave Shaffer

Tmg115

Reaction score
I hate mine. I do not like the way it shifts and hunts for gears. I also do not like the programming. The regular mode keeps the rpms to low and the sport mode keeps the rpms to high. I wish they had a middle of the road mode.

The trans is my biggest dislike about this truck. But if you go gm it's the exact same trans and GM's 8 speed is even worse.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ask him what the problems are and post them up. They do have some crazy shift strategies. Some clunking and hunting for gears every now and then. We have several at work with over 100K with zero Ecoboost or 10R80 problems. My father has a 19’ with 130K on it no problems with the Trans or EB. His moon roof has been a nightmare. My biggest complaint about the 10R80 is it did not net me anymore MPG over the 6R80. Nothing at all. It actually try’s to act like a 6R. And the heat exchanger cooling system limits you on added cooling. I would be interested in his list of documented problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At almost 15K miles on mine, I have not had any issues with mine. If I had to choose a dislike, it is the slight hesitation when going from drive to reverse or reverse to drive. I fault that on the electronics, though. Probably some sort of fail safe so people don't ram it into reverse while driving or something. Just a guess.

It only affects me when parking at home and sometimes when backing in the camper (but I am usually not in a rush so its not as big an issue).

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree. 19K miles and no issues. Smooth 99% of the time. Sometimes, it clunks, but to me, so smooth I never feel the shifts or know what gear it's in. I agree going from reverse to drive and vise versa it's a little slow, but I'm ok with that too.

I was up in the mountains of CA the other week and had it in sport. Performed great. I was also impressed on some down grades it held a lower gear almost acting like an engine brake.

Coming from GM's eight speed, I feel it's awesome.

Haakon

Reaction score
2018 Limited with approx 38k and I've been happy with the transmission. I agree with those seeing the hesitation between drive and reverse, but as noted, this can be a good thing to slow down those actions a bit. I've pulled trailers in CO on interstate and on dirt "roads" with no problems and performance was much better than my friends F250, albeit with a somewhat heaver trailer. With my normal around town and highway mpg in the 19-20 range, pulling the heavy trailer 2k miles to CO and back I was at about 11mpg. However, my friend was in the 6-7 range. He had shifting issues going up the mountains and really had to watch his RPMs while struggling with shift points. I had no issues going up and it held in a lower gear coming down acting like an engine break.

Last edited:

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many opinions are you after? I would echo those above: apart from the Drive/Reverse delay, it seems to work just fine.