100k tuneup time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Wiped Cam

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If this will be your first time tinkering with the tranny, then make sure you have the following tools handy:

307-570.jpg

^^^ the OTC 307-570, and:

s-l640.jpg

^^^ an Irwin long reach offset pliers.

If you're good with tools, the above two units will enable you to work on a 6R tranny all day long without having your skin burned off by the cat.

Also, be very careful as to how you "flush" the tranny. The 6R80 is not very forgiving when you run the pump dry for any period of time. I, in my flawed opinion, suggest that you drop the pan, do the filter, then fill up as it's normally done, then come back after a weeks worth of driving and replace 5qts of tranny fluid out the dipstick hole.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I asked a simple question.....not sure what you even mean by your reply.
If you wait 100K to, 'do maintenance', then post a question on what 'What should I do'. If you gave a rip you realize doing maintenance, is kind of important. You obvious read the 100K spark plug interval. Why wait until it actually turns 100k? That is maximum recommendation. The owners manual should have this info. I wouldn't trust the opinions of half the people on this forum. It's sounds like you want permission, to delay doing anything else.

OP
OP
blkmonday

blkmonday

Reaction score
I dont recall ever saying I've never done any maintenance to this truck? Also I bought it used about 30k ago. Its had plenty of maintenance from both me and the previous owner. All I was looking for was a recommendation on plugs really. Simple. Im thick skinned and can take a poke all in good fun, so im really not bothered by your snarky response. There is a lot of ego on these forums for whatever reason. Im an old car guy...just simply asking for a recommendation on a newer vehicle that i am admittedly unexperienced with.. thats all...Motorcraft plugs it is...ill keep my stock coils. Cheers

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Damn! I never thought of using a pliers to pull that dipstick! No more scars on this hand! You saved my skin, for which I will be eternally grateful!
Makuloco has a way to do it simi cold, I think I will do that on this new to me truck or maybe just throw towel over the cat.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought a 14 Limited with 98k miles and immediately changed the oil (never trust the dealers to do it right), the plugs with motorcrafts, the serpentine belt and tensioner (it was making a bit of noise). Will probably drain and flush the coolant this weekend and do the trans at some point.

Papaboo

Reaction score
I did my plugs at 60K, nothing wrong just needed to do something,( all plugs looked good).
NGK IX Iridium Spark Plug 372
Have Flowmaster cold air induction
I replaced all four struts, rear diff serviced, all 4 brakes, (lifetime guarantee and flushed system), replaced leaking pwr steering hose and flushed sys at 75K, tires rotated and bal. It drives like a new vehicle, runs sweet!
I just did the trans and radiator flush at 80K
This is the last V8 and it's going to run until the doors fall off!