12 mpg???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello I have a 2020 expedition max with the 303A stealth package with 4x4 and the hd tow package. I try to drive normally but the best I can do on mpg is 12. Am I doing something wrong or expecting too much? I would like to see at least 16 mpg.

66nova

Reaction score
How much stop and go are you in? That's what kills mpg. Also, do you use the remote start a lot? That will also affected mpg greatly.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For a vehicle this size, stop and go will torpedo mpg. I wouldn't even bother looking at city mpg. Highway MPG should be around 20 at 70. Check your tire pressure as well.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A lead foot, towing, short trips and anything over 65 mph kills the mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A lead foot, towing, short trips and anything over 65 mph kills the mileage.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What the hell Tapatalk. 3 in one shot?

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are several threads on this site about MPG's and if you look through them, you will see that some people are all over the board on where their average MPG's are. Couple of observations;
a) don't trust the electronic thingy ... they are notoriously unreliable. i use it for general comparison, but hand calc to see what i am really getting.
b) 12 is certainly on the low end ... I average 18.8 and my daily drive is about 75% city speed (30 ish) with a few stop lights and 25% highway. i could likely do better if I drove like a hypermiler, but I enjoy the Boost a little more than the Eco.

I summary, your 12 does sound off, but it is hard to say since we don't know your driving habits (the turbos are fun but not nice to the MPG's), terrain or route.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It also depends on how new your vehicle is; you will see a slight increase as your engine breaks in. We're not talking a 30% increase or anything, but I bet a 10%-15% increase is reasonable.

That was my experience anyway, and I know a few other folks on here had similar results.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I only get 12mpg when staying around town just taking the kids to school. If I try and baby it around town I have seen 16 or 17 (but only when I try really hard)

And like others have said, don't trust the computer calculation. I find mine is off about 1mpg.

On the freeway without morons slowing down in the left lane I have seen 20+mpg while doing 75-80 mph

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello I have a 2020 expedition max with the 303A stealth package with 4x4 and the hd tow package. I try to drive normally but the best I can do on mpg is 12. Am I doing something wrong or expecting too much? I would like to see at least 16 mpg.
Clean your MAP sensors to start with, especially one on top of manifold. Also, what type of fuel you running? Lastly, if you have more than 5000 miles on the truck and still only averaging 12 mpg, sell it back and ask for a new one. For reference, I have a 2016 EL platinum with HD tow package, 3.73 gears, 3” lift and 35s tuned on e30 and still get 17. So yes, 12 is not right for the fully stock vehicle you own