12 mpg???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2019 Plat Exp

Reaction score
Even lead footing it with the platinum 4x4 HD tow package I still see 18s about even city traffic stop and go get at least 15. If I stay below 70 and take it easy can get upwards of 22 like this last tank of all backroads. I live in the north east as well so lots of up and down hills can take a toll.

20200910_195455.jpg

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have seen 9-10 mpg on a fresh tank (mileage zeroed out), but that is almost all stop and go with a lot of idle time with the A/C blowing hard. My other mileage exploits have been documented elsewhere, but stop & go WILL smash all hopes of mileage to smithereens. If that is your ultimate concern, an electric (GASP!) vehicle will need to be in your future.

Take your truck (we assume no mods, stock tires, clean roof line, not towing anything, etc.) out to a highway with just you in it, no extra kit, full tank of fuel, and reset the fuel mileage meter with cruise locked on to 60/65 mph (or whatever). As long as the road is straight and true with no major elevation fuel hanges, run it for 20 min and you should see 25++ mpg on the E-fuel meter (which is usually wrong but a good indicator as consistently wrong if so).

You can account for ethanol, crap winter gas, 87 v 93 etc, but if the Ex is not knocking down mid 20's at those speeds something is wrong. IIRC I am getting 27-28 mpg under those conditions (dashboard reading)?

YMMV (but like for realz this time)

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife sure can get down into the 12s when she drives locally in stop and go traffic. Same routes I get around 15. The difference is that she likes to floor it between lights.

Gotta stay off the turbos for better mileage.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was seeing high 12’s when I first got my 303a model on 87 octane fuel.

I switched to 93 at around 2-3k miles on the odometer and am now seeing mid-13’s around town.

Towing on relatively flat terrain gets me 14’s. Highway driving in the low to mid 20’s.

I am currently just under 10,000 miles on mine. I’ll probably hit 10k this weekend.

But like others have said, your driving habits will determine what your mileage is. I am not a lead foot. Usually drive within 5 miles of the speed limit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1111ExpyEL1111

Full Access Members
Reaction score
14 city is common in our 16 shorty. You guys that say you get 17 in the city....are your roads all downhill and you put it in neutral? C'mon.....

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure you need more input on this, but my computer reflected 10.7 mpg in August, where average outdoor temperature was in the high 90’s, I live in an area with stop and go traffic every 1-2 miles and with some sitting in the truck stopped while taking periodic phone calls with engine idling and A/C on. This same truck can get 24 mpg highway running 55-65 at highway speeds or just under 20mpg driving 78 miles per hour on long trips. Add a headwind or tailwind at 78 miles per hour can add or subtract 2mpg easily.
My truck is a 2018 Limited, 4 X 4 with HD Tow, short wheelbase.
Put your hand out the window driving highway speeds and feel the wind resistance! Any vehicle with the front surface area of a Expedition, it takes a given amount of energy to propel these trucks at highway speed. Vehicles today are highly refined, there is not much more that engineers can do to improve highway mileage without reducing frontal surface area.
Stop and go driving is dealing with momentum more than frontal area. Again it takes a lot of energy to propel a 5,300 lbs vehicle to 40 mph from a stand still.
We can’t break the laws of physics!