15-17 Heated Steering Wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you talking about a '17 Expedition Platinum? There was no heated steering wheel option on either the Expedition or the Navigator until the 2018 models. Hence the need for this thread. . .

Plati

Reaction score
Just had to go out to the Depot. Steering wheel was cold and I remembered this thread. THEN I remembered that my 2014 has heated seats so I used them for the FIRST TIME. Had that Expy for over 2 years now, kinda slow to learn I guess.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you talking about a '17 Expedition Platinum? There was no heated steering wheel option on either the Expedition or the Navigator until the 2018 models. Hence the need for this thread. . .

Incorrect, I saw the HSW optioned truck myself.....and yes, a '17.

I also own the hard cover edition of the 2016 Ford Expedition Wiring diagrams.....it is supposed to be identical to the '17 with the single exception being the rear seat switch assembly. This book is nearly 2" thick lending to the complexities of these systems but if you know what you want, I will post a jpg of the page....

jeff

OP
OP
17LimitedExpy

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I also own the hard cover edition of the 2016 Ford Expedition Wiring diagrams.....it is supposed to be identical to the '17 with the single exception being the rear seat switch assembly. This book is nearly 2" thick lending to the complexities of these systems but if you know what you want, I will post a jpg of the page....

jeff

Hmmm...now it's getting interesting. Please confirm you saw the HSW option on a 2017 Expedition? Any more details...like Platinum/Limited/XLT, etc? Thanks.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score

jeff

Please do! Let's see the page(s) that show the heated steering wheel option, or, if there isn't a section for that, the wiring for the steering column.

The brochure for the 2017 Expedition does not list a heated steering wheel option. Also, mainstream reviewers like Autoweek have complained that the 2015-17 Navigator doesn't have this option, so it's hard to imagine the Expy having it when the Navi doesn't. But I'd love to be wrong about this! I'm hoping to get a '17 myself and I really want this option.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2015-lincoln-navigator-l-review-notes

Last edited:

mdntblu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How come if I open this file: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...s-Manual-version-2_OM_EN-US_EN-CA_09_2016.pdf and I do CMD-F/CTRL-F and type Heated the first thing comes up in the manual table of contents page 69 Heated Steering Wheel?
Even on page 390 it shows it on the screen for Sync 3.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, it's mentioned in the owner's manual and yet it was never available as an option until 2018. (Notice the manual says "IF EQUIPPED.") It could be Ford intended to offer it as an option but later decided not to, perhaps to save money. I remember reading a review about the 2015 Navigator where the reviewer complained that truck didn't have a heated steering wheel option, either.

RogerD1959

2.5 Months Ltr, and Final Bill 22K+
Reaction score
It's worth a few minutes with a laptop and Forscan. As I write this I have not wandered off the reservation, I am addressing the heated steering wheel discussion, and there is method to my madness. I have a 2016 Platinum Expedition EL, it has all the foo, foo, bells and whistles excluding the rear, second row, dual screen DVD/Gaming system. I was glad it did not have that, not so thrilled, it has the factory, glass, power Tilt/slide Moonroof, seriously, this HUGE, MASSIVE, OVER THE TOP, LUX people mover/field office/camper has the factory, glass, power Tilt/slide Moonroof. Last time I encountered a vehicle with a, "Moonroof," was my moms 1977 Lincoln Town Coupe! Mom's Moonroof, was a burgundy tinted, (to match the car color), power operated, sliding glass panel. It was trouble free, water tight, well designed, and proportioned properly, it was a very nice option, not only fitting in with the size of the vehicle, but complementing the vehicles appearance. Flattering the look, of the 1977 Lincoln line of Town Cars, and Town Coupe's. None of this is true with my Moonroofed, Platinum Expedition EL. The Moonroof on the 77 Lincoln Town Car, and Town Coupe, is at least two or three times the size of the one in my Expedition EL. The Lincoln Moonroof was properly proportioned, correctly sized, and fit in with the vehicle size, complementing it's style, and appearance. I am clueless as to why any Expedition EL needs a Moonroof, especially one totally out of proportion, with the size of the Expedition EL! The visual of the installed product is hilarious! Like a puppies body trying to grow into its too big and awkward head size. I am not embarrassed by it and chuckle over it every day, I will never be able to figure out, why Ford Design went this way, with something so amusingly out of balance, and out of place. Hmm, perhaps it could be Fords better idea for a fancy, power glide, open/close doggy door to the stars! Almost as big a design misstep, as the Moonroof, and equally as amusing, is my Expedition EL's rear window wiper! Ford made that thing so big! The wiper hardly ever works! It always hangs up, gets stuck, as it struggles to swipe passed the 12:00 position on the liftgate glass! If you lighten the blades pressure against the glass it streaks, smears, makes more of a mess than it removes. Increase the pressure and the blade hangs, if there is a sweet spot I have yet to find it. Its not the motor, I replaced that with the new blade installation end of winter. This interior of my Platinum Expedition EL is very, very, very nice. Black leather seating, excluding the third row, black faux leather, (Vinyl) there, black headliner, all offset with the grey door, and dash accents. The word Platinum discretely visible stitched into the first and second row seat headrests. The first time I looked from the drivers seat, back through the vehicle to the rear, the incredible job Ford did with this part of the vehicle, reminded me of the view from the pilots seat, to the rear of the cabin, in a Beechcraft Baron. Both elegant, tasteful, beautifully done, obviously something a lot of thought went into.

Over the passed 7 plus months as I have gotten to know my Expedition, looked over posts here, acquainted myself with Forscan, fiddled a bit with that, things started to show up which were NOT on the, "Ford Built As," information. You had to ferret these things out, look around for them, they were not supposed to be on the vehicle, however there they were kind of hiding in plane sight. The only other Ford product I had this kind of thing happen with, was my West Texas Lincoln dealership's specially ordered from Ford, 1992 Lincoln Town Car. I got the car from a Irving Lincoln Dealership, after they bought it at auction, from the West Texas Dealer who ordered the car for his wife to drive until he got her a new one. The car was in pristine well cared for condition, entire air suspension system had been replaced, and it had about 62,000 miles on the odometer. Long and short of this, Like my Expedition EL the car had some things not normally present on a Town Car, or present, but only in different markets. First it was a factory stretch, a tad bit longer than a standard Town Car, the rear doors were wider, ac/heat vents in the headliner along lighted flip down vanity mirrors, and a sad execution of rear seat radio controls. A similar version was either already available in the United States, or was going to come out in 93 or 94, I don't recall very well that part of things. Just read somewhere Ford had either done it, or it was planned, and now I think about that, did that model ever see sale in the U.S. don't know. Under the hood was a 5.8L V-8, full digital dash, and one night driving from Dallas to Midland a bit after Midnight, I got the thing up to 135 MPH, engaged the speed control, and it held! I lost my nerve about 7 miles later, slowed back down to a more respectable 80. That was totally unexpected, I always thought the dealers castrated the cars and truck sold here. On the way back the next night, to be sure, I got the car to do the same thing again, and there seemed to be plenty of room left in the engine to go faster. I did 135 on I-20 twice in the pitch dark of night going and coming between Dallas and Midland. Never, ever, drove the car that fast again, I swear! The car also had two 12 volt batteries, each side of the engine bay, a gold tint to the windshield, that made it blend in with the paint job, Ford being fancy again I thought. Finally, after my speeding binge with it, I was wiping out the door Jambs, and noticed along with all the vehicle data stickers. Odometer Speedometer Certified Calibrated and the initials EUR. I thought that was weird also, until then I thought Law Enforcement were the only ones that had factory Certified and Calibrated Odometers and Speedometers. A year later I take it out to El Paso, returning to Dallas I called the original dealership that first owned the car. Got to speak with the dealership owner who agreed to meet me at his facility that afternoon to answer some questions I had about the car.

Well, everybody here needs to get in good with the owner of a Ford Dealership! Those people get to order stuff from Ford the rest of us can only hope to get! What he ordered for his Wife, that I wound up with, as he put it to me was the Non Americanized or non Federalized. Lincoln Town Car, E.E.S. E.E.S. being some kind of order code, along with a few numeric order codes, that landed you a European/German Market Town Car, that normally is only sold over there, and with right hand drive. It was larger to compete with the Large Mercedes and BMW sedans sold in that market, had a larger V-8 to keep up, no speed limiting, or castration as I call it, like the cars sold here in the U.S. When I told him I was relocating to Wisconsin he went to the shop and came back with a heated windshield switch, and a trim piece with 3 cutouts in it. He told me the car was equipped with a heated windshield, really why it was gold colored, and had two batteries. He told me to pop the little narrow piece of trim that was around the trunk release and the fuel door buttons. Between them was a third hole in the dash. The connector was back there, pull it through the hole, plug it in the switch, snap the switch back into the dash, snap the new 3 hole trim piece back onto the dash. Review the heated windshield section in the owners manual. He said in Wisconsin having it was probably better than not having it, and he still charged me for the parts. $ 132.00 for a $ 1,895.00 option, who am I to complain. He told me in Texas we have little use for that option, it is a very expensive add on, and doesn't hold up well considering the abuse windshields in Texas get from flying rocks and road debris. That is totally true, in Texas it seems that one in 5 cars has a cracked windshield! He told me he wanted his wife in the larger model felt it was safer for her to drive, he liked the extra power, and lack of limiting the cars top speed for US Compliance for when he drove it. He drew up a order request for the overseas version, told Ford they could dump the windshield, send him one with out that, he did not need it, want it, and was not going to pay the extra cost. Ford had a few that the sale fell through on, so they sent the one to him I now owned. The only reason he auctioned it to the Plano Dealer, apparently the air suspension at that time only lasted about 60 to 65 thousand miles, would fail, and to replace it was north of 3K. He told me that had been the trade off indicator that system failure had always been the cue to order his wife a new, what ever she wanted, vehicle. He told me he was surprised it came in with the heated windshield, but said Ford was notorious for sending vehicles better equipped than the vehicles order specs called for. Ford would remove the options from the dealer order, disable all access to these options by the end user. He told me most all car companies do this, especially when it is inventory already build that car makers got stuck with cause the transaction fell through. Think about it he told me. It cost additional money to remove a option they had already installed spending money to do that. For what ever the reason, car companies always get stuck with some of the preordered inventory for lots of excellent reasons, sale falls through, the foreign government wants to ban the sale of the vehicle's. Tax wars, tariff disputes, supply chain failure, lack of support personnel, weather, time constraints, Shipping Issues, and a encyclopedia of other valid reasons. It already cost the car maker money to build these vehicles letting a vehicle age a year or two costs money so the dealer want to get this equipment moved out the door with a new customer

Now I sincerely hope and pray you find similar surprises in your Expedition! As you learn all you can about it, never stop asking for advice, confirming beyond any doubt something does or does not exist, does or does not function. I know back in the late 70's early 80's, when American Car companies were almost bankrupt. For example, Ford made the Mercury Marquis, Lincoln Town Car, and Crown Victoria. All three of those cars are almost identical excluding the placement of trim, and different options. The car makers were learning they needed to cut cost, improve build quality, improve vehicle reliability etc., as inexpensively as practical. I think Chrysler started this first. If vehicles are almost identical. Why buy 30 different configurations of the vehicle wire harness for essentially the same vehicle! Buy one harness that can connect every conceivable thing, option, etc., on a production model. Add, connect, make operational ordered equipment and options. Don't connect, don't disclose installed equipment, not ordered or specked in the build. Like, build everyone a loaded Expedition, only hook up the stuff installed the build called for. Leave the rest of the parts unplugged, deprogrammed, not listed. Yes the bean counters will have to blow up their calculators figuring out what parts this would work with, and what parts are just to pricey to include. If you look closely at the fully loaded hot versus cold steering wheels. I seriously doubt there is that much difference in cost. In a way its kind of like kids, rising one generally cost less than rising two, and its pretty much the same thing Instead of having to stock two types of steering wheels, hot and cold, buy the hot in bulk and save money messing with one do all part, you already cut by half what it costs to handle two of basically the same things.

Some of this has to be what is going on with my Expedition EL. It's the 4X4, top of the line model with everything on it except the heated windshield, steering wheel, what else, throw pillows for the third row. Ford says the Heated Steering Wheel is not installed, the Dealer says the same thing, and like a lot of you here, not even offered as an option. Cant be had at any price! I am proof positive don't take no for an answer. Look! If it makes logical sense the item could be there, you have nothing to loose taking the time, your laptop, OBDII connector, and Forscan, and set it up. You may get the surprise of the day, it is installed, all you had to do is wake it up. I have the heated steering wheel. I also have no more use for that idiot light telling me a tire is soft, but not which one. Been told that is just the way it is, it was changed with the 2018 models, vague illumination is all you get on the 15, 16, 17 Expeditions. This is just not the case I have found with my 16. Each tire reports its precise, accurate, pressure to the, BCM, TCM, or ABS module, I forgot to make a note of which one. It can be viewed with several smartphone applications, and though I have been told the module that would allow this data to display on one of the MFD's does not exist on the 2016's. That is not going to stop me from looking into it, considering all the other weird nonexistent, existing functional stuff I keep coming across with my expy. In closing I doubt seriously, I am the only 2016 Expy owner with these phantom functioning parts on their vehicle. Don't waste 2 days trying to see if something is there or not, that is dumb. However You do owe yourself at least 30 minutes to check it out before closing the book. Oh, one last thing about the steering wheel. The heater switch will show active on the center display, however, if the ambient temp is above 40 - 42 Deq F. The system sees that as two warm for operation, wants to keep from frying your fingers. It took me 1 failed attempt to set up the system, and the second one, when I realized it won't activate if it is too warm, had it running fine in less than 15 minutes.

Last edited:

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmm...now it's getting interesting. Please confirm you saw the HSW option on a 2017 Expedition? Any more details...like Platinum/Limited/XLT, etc? Thanks.

Echo; I'd be very interested to see this. I've never seen a factory HSW for a 15-17 Expy; would be great to know if it's somehow possible. (Without having to swap in an Explorer or F150 steering wheel)