15-17 Heated Steering Wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is just not the case I have found with my 16. Each tire reports its precise, accurate, pressure to the, BCM, TCM, or ABS module, I forgot to make a note of which one. It can be viewed with several smartphone applications, and though I have been told the module that would allow this data to display on one of the MFD's does not exist on the 2016's....

I'd be VERY interested to know what ForSCAN line needs to be addressed to allow you to view exact tire pressures. That would be extremely helpful.

Oh, one last thing about the steering wheel. The heater switch will show active on the center display, however, if the ambient temp is above 40 - 42 Deq F. The system sees that as two warm for operation, wants to keep from frying your fingers. It took me 1 failed attempt to set up the system, and the second one, when I realized it won't activate if it is too warm, had it running fine in less than 15 minutes.

This as well, what had to be adjusted to enable the HSW?

Last edited:

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ditto on the tire readouts. Our '16 Explorer had this so it's annoying that my '17 Expy does not.

Also, I have a printed 2017 wiring diagram manual and there's no mention anywhere of a heated steering wheel option that I can find. . .

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve gotten a heated steering wheel on my 2017 Expedition installed and working...trying to consolidate threads, so please go here:

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/heated-steering-wheel-installation-on-my-2017.35701/

I know you did the Explorer HSW retrofit and the Forscan team worked with you to get it working.

In my 2013 Fusion I was able to put it in a 2017 Fusion HSW, ... Following that logic and your accomplishment with the Explorer HSW, (aside from the Forscan technicality) couldn't one take a 2018 Expedition HSW and install it in the 2015-17 Expedition ?

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe he may have stated in his retrofit thread that the HSW module from Ford is generic, i.e. not specific to any one vehicle. The reason for choosing the Explorer wheel was compatibility of the steering wheel buttons. While a 2018 Expy wheel would no doubt bolt in place, it remains to be seen what would happen trying to get the buttons on it to work.

The first step is getting a 2018 wheel and recording the exact resistance values as each button is pressed. Then, the same process needs to be done for a 2015-17 Expy wheel. Those values can then be compared to see what would happen if you tried using 2018 buttons in a 2015-17 model.

I have worked with steering wheel buttons on a Ford before, but not on our trucks. So, I don't know if these button modules can be taken apart and the circuit boards accessed. If that's possible, and different resistance values end up being needed, it might be possible to get an extra set of buttons and modify them to deliver the correct resistance values for a 2015-17 model. I just have no idea yet how much work that might entail.

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And all of that is tied to the SCCM receiving the correct (resistance) signals thru the correct pins to make things work ?

Otherwise you get a whole bunch of non-responsive steering wheel controls or a chaotic mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exactly! If the values are wrong you could send the wrong signals doing things like triggering the cruise control when you were trying to do something else. In other words, it could be very unsafe!

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To verify disparities and or similarities, I guess the Next step would be to compare these two side-by-side (2017 vs 2018)

- the firmwares on the SCCM
- steering wheel controls (connectors) pinouts
- the clock springs & connectors pinouts

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SCCM must also be "generic" because 17LimitedExpy successfully installed a heated steering wheel in his truck and he did not have to replace the SCCM (though IIRC there was some updating to it needed in ForSCAN). His thread contains details of what needed to be done in ForSCAN. He also replaced the clockspring because trucks with HSW need two extra contacts there to transmit power to the heating element. The only thing that really needs to be explored are the pinouts for the steering wheel buttons and resistance values compared between 2015-17 and 2018+ Expy steering wheels.

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup I’ve done a HSW upgrade in my Fusion, I’m familiar with the basic components & wiring needed to make the heated portion work.

I agree with you on everything else. [emoji1360]

RogerD1959

2.5 Months Ltr, and Final Bill 22K+
Reaction score

I have a heated, Ford Factory Installed, heated steering wheel, in my 2016 Platinum EL. It was not in the built as file, the dealership at first swore it did not have one. Now they infer I jerry rigged a install. I do not have that kind of mechanical skill and would royally screw it up! The first time I used Forscan to put the on off button on the radio MFD, the button said it was on, but nothing happened. Please Try this BEFORE doing anything else to refit. Most likely on the Platinum fully loaded models. The ones that make you wonder why they forgot it, its equipped with every thing else. Its simple, takes about 30 mins. using Forscan to set the on off button up. Remember though, the steering wheel will not heat up if the outside temp is above 40 - 42 deg., F. that is why mine did not work the first time I tried this. Could be a fluke, you got nothing to loose checking to see.