16inch ION WHEELS on expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ldutton6

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just bought a set of Black Ion 174 wheels and was wondering if anyone has any pictures of theres with these?

LEAVE THEM IF YOU DO!!!!

Mikes05expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not a great pic but this is all I could find on the forum. It's another members ride not mine btw.5evetype.jpg

Sent from my S5

Pedition2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 16" will fit our trucks? I have 17" but have a big choice around here of 16" or 16.5". Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
absolutely 16's will fit. Can't speak to aftermarket 16" though, you would have to check for brake caliper clearance.

I know for fact 16" Ford wheels will fit, because that's what mine came with from the factory. Searching around for a local set of 17"'s though, just not feeling the love with 16's...

Last edited:

oregonn8v

Reaction score
It may not be an issue for anyone here considering the change but do be aware that changing from 16" to 17" will reduce towing capacity by around 500# and vice-versa.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It may not be an issue for anyone here considering the change but do be aware that changing from 16" to 17" will reduce towing capacity by around 500# and vice-versa.

Why's that?

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, why would going to a smaller wheel change your towing capacity?
If anything, the smaller radius if the wheel should INCREASE the capacity of the wheel (due to leverage on the shorter radius).
For years upon years the most widely used wheel size on work trucks was 16". Look back to any 3/4 or 1 ton truck before the year 2000. Everything had 16" wheels with an 8 lug bolt pattern. Therefore, it is still incredibly easy to find 10ply tires for use on a 16" wheel.
Hate to tell you, but your information source is incorrect. 16" wheels will not give you any less towing/hauling capacity over a 17".

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He's saying going up in size will decrease it, I bet that's based on a larger total diameter tire being installed which would make sense... But who pays attention to those numbers anyway ;-P

BIG GREEN FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know about what you guys want to tow behind your truck but I pull my 42 foot boat around 8000 pounds and my buggy around 7000 and bobcats. With no proploms and I have 315/70/R17