17 Inch Wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crashkid1982

Reaction score
Howdy.

I had an F150 rental this week, and was baffled how much of a better ride quality it had compared to my Expedition on 275/55R20.

That truck was rolling on 17 Inch wheels. So far I had 18 Inch take-off wheels on the radar for the next tire change once the original ones are down.

However, this rental experience made me think… and OE raptor take-offs you can get for cheap on the interwebs.

Would not be planning on any lifts, and could be running something reasonable like 275/70R17 or so…

Any thoughts?

I guess towing capacity goes down, re subjectively will feel awful? Did not do any remotely heavy duty towing yet.

TIA

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve got 285/22’s and I’m looking to size into 18’s or 20’s. This thing rides too harsh with the 22’s.
17’s should fit, but double check caliper clearance.

OP
OP
C

crashkid1982

Reaction score
17’s would be nice. But I read in other threads here you have to cut the rear axle…

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Expedition XL's come with 17" steel wheels from Ford. They are mostly sold as government fleet vehicles. 265/70R17 XL or LT. F150 wheels have less room for the rear axle stubs for some reason.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
F150 doesn't even share the same suspension as our expedition, so its like comparing apples to oranges....... Its more than just tires.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
F150 doesn't even share the same suspension as our expedition, so its like comparing apples to oranges....... Its more than just tires.

true enough, especially in the back where the Expedition is IRS while the F150 is live axle, but they use the same stock size tires, wheel bolt pattern, and offset.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your spare may be a 17" and if so you can try it on to see how it fits. Tires cost would go down nicely too.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year f150 did you rent. The 21+ f150s ride better because of the updated platform and suspension, even on leaf springs. I remember test driving a 21 f150 lariat, and ride was stellar for a vehicle, let alone a pickup. The 4th gen expys are sitting on a platform from 2014, so they don't ride well subjectively compared to newer updated cars. For the record, my nav to my wife and i rides better than any of the last gen pickups. I havent driven the newer pickups outside ram and ford, but my nav rides better than both when it wants 2 and rides well compared to the newer slate of fs suvs, but does feel old in comparison.

Last edited:

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a '20 Expedition MAX and a '22 F150 Supercrew with 5.5 box, both with 18's. I ordered them both specifically to get the 18's, after living with a 2007 F150 with 20's for many years. I'm very pleased with ride and handling of both (I did put a Hellwig rear sway bar on the Expedition). I have made several long trips with each of them. Personally, I prefer the ride and handling of the Expedition over the F150 a small amount; but, they are close. At 10" shorter, the MAX has much tighter wheel cuts and turning radius. The IRS beats out the longer wheelbase for overall ride. Right now I have better tires (Michelin Defenders) on the Expedition vs. the F150 (Wranglers). So, the Expedition is quieter.

For me, the 18's offer more functionality off road where I am routinely encountering muddy, wet 2 tracks in the northern midwest and southeast while bird hunting. The 20's would fill with mud and make highway travel impossible without first washing the mud out of the wheels. The 18's tend to clear themselves and rim riding an inch higher off the ground helps to keep mud from getting in the wheels in the first place. Freeway ride is improved as well; but, there is no question that you can generate more lateral g's with larger wheels on the road. Time will tell; but, I suspect the 18's will be easier on wheel bearings than the 20's were on my old F150.

While there are many criteria for wheel selection....ALWAYS be wary of offset. Changing the offset, regardless of diameter and tire size has lots of implications on clearance, handling and durability, front and rear.