'18 Expedition Platinum vs '18 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aviator_JPN

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and this is my 1st post here.
I'm in the market for the large SUV and deciding between 2018 Expedition or 2018 Yukon Denali. Price wise, they are similar. I wonder if I could get your input on the followings if you have considered/owned Yukon Denali before.

1. Quality/Reliability of both builds (Historically on these models)
2. Resale value (Historically which one holds better RV?)
3. Repair costs (Historically which one is more expensive?)
4. Maintenance intervals
5. Safety rating (Historically)
6. Lease or Buy

Thank you in advance for your support on this!

Last edited:

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
If you’re looking for an SUV then I’d go Denali or 2017 expedition. 2018 Expedition is actually an all new class of minivan

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your able, which i assume since your buying, the new class minivan comment actually makes the 18 expy your best choice. It rides better than the denali, has the same amount of power, same amount if not more capability, and its newer. However it being newer, its reliability ratings and saftey ratings havent been updated yet. If your a v8 guy, you may want the denali, or you could actually do better with a sequoia or armada honestly, they are more capable and have v8s. Looks are subjective.

My advice, get what your soul tells you. The denali is for those who want to look nice. The expy is for those who care about space and their family. If youre planning on offroading, for the price you could get a range rover or land cruiser.

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree with Armada (or QX80) or Sequoia over either of them... Doesn't hurt to test drive them before making a decision.

Not sure about "expy is for those who care about space and their family"... a lot of SUVs have good safety ratings.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I say that because the expy has the most family friendly features and most passenger space of all full sized suvs.

Def test drive them and get what feels most right for you and your family.

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm in your boat and have test driven them all multiple times. Here's my rankings:

1. Gator

2. Expedition
3. QX80 (18)

4. Denali

After you drive both, the Denali will seem cramped and much less smooth. Additionally, the tech in the new Fords is light years ahead of GM. GM realizes it too, that's why they are offering me a 18 Denali ultimate for 66!!!

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and this is my 1st post here.
I'm in the market for the large SUV and deciding between 2018 Expedition or 2018 Yukon Denali. Price wise, they are similar. I wonder if I could get your input on the followings if you have considered/owned Yukon Denali before.

1. Quality/Reliability of both builds
2. Resale value
3. Repair costs
4. Maintenance intervals
5. Safety rating
6. Leave or Buy

Thank you in advance for your support on this!

Good question. Many people here have and/or are considering the same options. I think most people I have spoken to believe the Yukon (XL) Denali looks amazing, and better than the Ford/Lincoln products from the outside. Inside is a different story. Go check them out, the Expy looks nicer than the Denali and the Navigator pretty much blows anything under $200k out of the water in my opinion. IN other words, the Navi really, really shines, interior wise. Back to the Expy.

1. Quality. Its too early to tell on the 18 Expy. However, the tahoe/suburban/yukon/escalade 2015+ platform has had many quality issues. They're getting better, but still, some of the common issues are unacceptable in an $80k vehicle.

2. Resale value. I think its too early to tell but historically, there has been a greater demand for the GM trucks, as is evident in their sales being 10x that of Ford. But the 2018 Expy is a game changer, so who knows.

3. Repair costs. I have not heard of Fords costing more or less than Chevrolets to fix. I think the answer will come back to how #2 above turns out, quality.

4. Maintenance Interval. No idea if there is anything special to consider outside of normal for trucks. Someone else here might know more.

5. Safety rating. Again, too early to tell however the 17 Expy has better safety ratings than the GM product for both crash and roll over prevention. The Toyota Sequoia is the only one that I know of that matches the 17 Expy for roll over prevention. We'll see what the 18 Expy gets rated at but weight is a huge factor in how occupants fair in a crash and they are all very heavy trucks compared to potential other vehicles one might hit.

6. Leave or Buy. I assume you mean "lease" or buy. I think this depends on how long you want to be in a vehicle like this and how much you enjoy having the latest and greatest. One thing you could do if you're on the fence is "lease TO buy" which is where you NEGOTIATE a decent lease, then in 3 years when the lease period is up, decide if you like the vehicle enough to buy it. If you do, then you can just buy it at that point. Your payments will be low because you'll be buying it for the residual value. Also, they'll tell you at that point that you cannot negotiate the residual price as its already in the lease contract, but remember that everything is negotiable. And the dealer would much rather get rid of it by selling it to you than have to clean it up, have a mechanic go through the entire vehicle and possibly fix issues, then go and try to sell it to someone else.

Also, I agree with Garrett's other factor's he mentioned above which you really should consider.
1- Ride quality is much better with the Expy
2- Interior space is much better with the Expy
3- Family friendly features are better on the Expy (more cup holders, USB ports, panoramic sunroof etc). Although one thing that having the pano sunroof prevents is having drop down screens from the ceiling (like on the Denali) which some people, including me, prefer.
4- tech is better with the Expy. For example, the Denali still has no 360 degree surround camera if you can believe that.

In the end, it may come down to money...lol, doesn't it always? If the 18 Expy MSRP is $83k in Platinum and they are not budging, but the 18 Denali MSRP is also $83k BUT they are offering it to you for $66k as mentioned above, then that becomes a harder decision because the Denali is a good vehicle too, and for that low a price it might be too hard to pass up!

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Aviator_JPN

Reaction score
Thanks, gents!

Will try out Sequoia and QX80 as some of you suggested. I used to own 2001 Sequoia and traded in for 2016 MDX. I loved the car and miss the height. That's one of the reason why I'm going back tall/big SUV.

OP
OP
A

Aviator_JPN

Reaction score
I'm in your boat and have test driven them all multiple times. Here's my rankings:

1. Gator

2. Expedition
3. QX80 (18)

4. Denali

After you drive both, the Denali will seem cramped and much less smooth. Additionally, the tech in the new Fords is light years ahead of GM. GM realizes it too, that's why they are offering me a 18 Denali ultimate for 66!!!

What is "Gator"? Sequoia?