1997 Expedition 4WD 5.4L Running like crap...

Discussion in '1st Gen - 1997 - 2002' started by duckyman, Dec 2, 2019.

1. duckyman

duckyman New Member

Several days ago, my normally great running '97 Expy 4WD 5.4 started to miss and stutter on acceleration. Having experienced bad coils in the past, I put my code reader on and it said cyl.#2 was misfiring, so I changed out the coil. It seemed to run better, but not perfect. Also, replaced the fuel canister purge hose because it had a small split. Next morning, I drove to town and it was running like crap. I ran the code reader again and came up with (Cyl.#2 Misfire), P0304(Cyl.#4 Misfire), and P0171(Bank 1 Too Lean). I also noticed a very minor noise from the right rear catalytic converter that sounded like an exhaust leak or baffle rattling. Next morning, when I started it, I crawled under and it was blowing visible exhaust (35 degrees outside temperature) from the cat. Here's my question: Can the hole in the cat cause such a large reduction in the operation of the engine and cause the error codes listed?? Thanks all!!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  2. 00XTL

00XTL Member

An exhaust leak will not make the engine misfire in most cases. Now a clogged cat would and you would likely get codes for misfires on 4 or 8 depending on whether bank one is clogged or bank two. Whens the last time you replace the plugs? And another thing to keep in mind is a possible intake manifold leak?

3. Ulver

Ulver Full Access Members

Was your coil on plug wet when you took it out?

Take those 1 and 4 spark plugs out and inspect them. If they're wet, look down in the spark plug hole and make sure you've dried it out good enough. If there's a coolant leak due to a bad upper intake manifold gasket then I believe coolant could run down the mating surface and pour down into the spark plug wells.

If not wet, and seem normal (which I'm expecting them to be a bit gray) then you may need to run a vacuum test, and check to see if you're leaking from the intake manifold or any component that's part of the intake (pcv valve hose, evap hose, etc.)