1997 Ford Expy Oem Radio w/Prem part#?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph

Reaction score
Hey gang,
Do any of ya'll know the part number of the factory radio on vehicles equipped with premium sound and CD changer? I've been looking for one for the longest time.

,Thanks

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its not worth what it will cost to get one. You can replace the entire system for the cost of a factory deck.

OP
OP
J

Joseph

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a used one and sending it to 1Factory Radio to have an aux jack installed. I just wanted to keep it factory looking. From what I understand they only made this radio for two years so it is tough to find, which is where the part # would help. I may have to give in and get a new aftermarket HU.

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is the reason I put it out there. If you find one, the cost spent on a professionally installed factoryish (not alien spaceship) system will put you back less money.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An aux input will function like a tape adapter. I find a bluetooth cassette will be a better option

I have tried a few and I found this one to be the best
from Amazon → click

91D-Rre2y9L._SL1500_.jpg

sound is crisp and loud. plus you can use it to make calls. I like that it automatically sync once you switch on the tape deck

hth

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I changed my premium sound cassette deck out for a new Ford 6-disc in dash player. It slide into the factory slot and looks OEM. All I had to do was cut a little plastic inside the tray area so it would slide all the way in. Here is what I went with:

5L8T-18C815-ED AM/FM/6 DISK T100 PLUGS NEW

They have a Ford plug ID section so you can figure out which adapter harness you need:

Ford Radios

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what he did ^^ is a VERY good option vs hunting the original down. (I still would like to point out that for $235, you can do much better aftermarket...)

Z168
Tape read heads are usually terrible and is why the tape to aux sounds so terrible (that and headphone jacks being terrible). The Bluetooth to tape should still have the read hiss. Its probably leveled higher than the old tape inputs, and the output not being as terrible, are what makes it more audible. My question is does it have the "hiss"?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Joseph

Reaction score
Thank you all for the help. Now I just need to decide whether to go with 6 disc oem or aftermarket (non alien spaceship lol).

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Z168
Tape read heads are usually terrible and is why the tape to aux sounds so terrible (that and headphone jacks being terrible). The Bluetooth to tape should still have the read hiss. Its probably leveled higher than the old tape inputs, and the output not being as terrible, are what makes it more audible. My question is does it have the "hiss"?

No hiss :favorites37:

However, my experience may only apply to the ford factory headunit. Being happy with this tape, I bought more (yes my other cars use tape too) and the sound unfortunately wasn't as loud nor as clear as it is on the ford.

Seven11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you can get a really nice double din Pioneer screen for $200. check eBay. Search for double din pioneer.

I am using a tape adapter to connect my iPhone 6s Plus... I really want to go to bluetooth music streaming like in my BMW.