1997 Temp Gauge not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

creativemain

Reaction score
have a 97 expedition 4.6l and the temp guage will not rise above C, I just replaced both sensors, and i have found that one goes to the pcm and one goes to the gauge. Can anyone tell me which one goes to the gauge? Does it have to be a motorcraft part?

If so can someone provide me with a part number that will work?
Thanks

OP
OP
C

creativemain

Reaction score
Nevermind fixed it........

slow responses here...what gives?

need more action in this forum......

Anyway just put the old temp gauge back in.
While both sensors look similar, one is a sender, ECT , and the other is CHT.

One goes to the PCM the other to the gauge.

mic_1011

Full Access Members
Reaction score
very slow response. not a very popular truck anymore and only an average of 10 viewers at any given time

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
:cool:mine never worked neither..its a 97. where exactly is the sensor on motor? i put a gauge for temp on winsheild post. just 1 gauge. id rather have dash gauge work....then i can use same gauge for oil or trans temp instead..

OP
OP
C

creativemain

Reaction score
the front sensor, on the left side of the alternator on top of the motor. it looks like there is two identical sensors, however the front one (left side of the alternator) with the black connector is the sender to the dash gauge. whereas the grey connector(back one, located behind the alternator) is the sensor for the pcm. The part is cheap, only a couple of bucks, and can be installed in a couple of minutes. Good luck!