1999 A4WD Hubs Sticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vigilante

Reaction score
Hey, really trying to figure something out here and would love to hear your thoughts on my issue here.

The A4WD shifts into gear just fine. Super stiff, and when turning, it feels like its binding up because the vehicle actually slows. Then it clicks through and goes again, one revolution at a time.

When disengaging, it's almost as if the hub doesn't fully retract. My 4x4 light flashes at me and I can feel as though it hangs up when I turn the vehicle. Usually a few miles and it pops free and the light goes away and I get the full steering range back.

To be noted; new HALL sensors, new CV's, and virtually everything else new but the hub assembly. I run 315's on the truck, and as a result, gives the CV's a bit of an angle from the front diff to the wheels. Could this be the source of the problem?

Any ideas what this could be? Would really appreciate the help. Thanks

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is this happening in AWD or 4WD ?
I have steep pitch on my CV ( too Much) and don't have that problem.

OP
OP
Vigilante

Vigilante

Reaction score
the 4x4 does work. The problem isn't engaging, its disengaging.

And I have been testing on dirt, not tarmac.

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure the vacuum shift linkage going into the front diff isn't sticking. Spray some lube on it. With the front wheels off the ground and the engine running you can cycle the axle engagement in and out when shifting in and out of 4wd. Spin the tires and it should click in and out. Be careful doing this. Put it on jack stands.