1st Gen Expy Were DRL Stock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow! That is a fantastic bunch of info! Thanks
What I need to do is check my VIN to see if this Expy was indeed build in Canada. If so, I might try some parts salvaging at the wreckers... but if it is a USA unit I will use the lights manually off of the headlight switch.
Thanks everybody.
I will try to let you all know the findings.

Robert Wagner

Reaction score
Question.... does the Expy have to be built in Canada or just DESTINED for the Canadian market at time of manufacture?

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Question.... does the Expy have to be built in Canada or just DESTINED for the Canadian market at time of manufacture?
Built in or destined for, it would have to meet the standards and regulations of the Cananadian Communist Rooles.

If it was imported privately maybe it could slip by without the DRLs, not sure. Highly likely it is a Canadian market unit.
I will check out the above info to see what the DRL system components look like, and where to find them. Hello wreckers!

Last edited:

MesaGuy

Reaction score
On the 2015 Expedition, you can use the Forscan application (free) to turn on the DRL function (or turn it off if you dislike that it is on). In that program's forum, there are spreadsheets available with the ROM locations that need to be changed, and how to do it. The application is free, but the hardware device (available on Amazon) costs about 40 bucks. The https://forscan.org/ allows you to download the Forscan application, and has links to the various hardware devices. (I recommend what Forscan's authors recommend, which is the OBD EX (usb), and/or the OBD MX+ (wireless). The USB device is more reliable, and faster- but the wireless device is sometimes more convenient. The EX is designed to be used with a Windows Laptop. The MX+ is designed to be used with an Apple IOS phone, or an Android phone. Forscan can not only provide DRL control on a 2015 model, but also allow you to control if you use headlights, foglights, or parking lights as your DRL's. (In CA, where I live, parking light DRL's are actually illegal, but that doesn't seem to stop people from doing it. We have no certifications here in this state anymore.) But a 2015 is a bit off-topic in the 1st Generation forum, which was 1997-2002, with 2 valves (2V) per cylinder 4.6 or 5.4L engines. In the newer vehicles, with Sync, everything is a computer option. DIY'ers can do that with Forscan for $40 in cost (and a fair amount of time for the learning curve.) The dealer can also do it, but most will not.... In some cases, things people want are illegal where the dealer is located, and then they definitely will not do it. (Like turn OFF the DRL setting in Canada, can't do that, or set DRL parking lights in California, that's a no, no also.) If you really want DRL, $40, and I would estimate about 5 hours of time reading and testing basic forscan functionalilty, and then you can change your settings per the spreadsheet, and viola, you have DRL.

MesaGuy

Reaction score
@

@Robert Wagner

Code:

Any Expedition that was destined for delivery in Canada, no matter whether built in Canada or USA, was equipped with the DRL feature, it was required by law at the time in Canada. (So you question was relevant, I was cavalier in my language before.)

But not a lot of the Canadian delivered (destined for) units end up back in the USA, the rare occasional ones do, usually near the border.

I found this picture all three parts (2 sort-of) DRL_Resistor_Mount_Relay_and_LoopbackPlug.png

It shows, at left: The dummy loopback plug that is present on USA models at C214 under the oval dash plastic, instead of the DRL relay box, that Canadian models have (middle). The right hand side piece is the DRL resistor (the white part, and the black connector at, plugged into the connector harness (from the engine wiring harness), all encased in the DRL resistor mounting bracket. The DRL resistor mounting bracket is ALSO missing on USA models. But on Canadian models that bracket is mount behind the front bumper, in front of the driver's side front tire (on the other side of the wheel well liner plastic than the tire is on, on the truck-colored painted frame "wall" opposite the bumper, and mounted. In the earlier post on this thread, the picture with the BLUE ARROW shows the location on the frame wall opposite the bumper, as you stare up at it from below. (That is how you get at it also, from below). The white part (the resistor) is ceramic, with a black plastic male (or female, opposite whatever the wiring harness is) connector embedded in it. The wire harness plugs onto that. The resiter sits in the retaining bracket. The retaining bracket is ******* into that frame wall at that location. Not sure how the resistor stays in the bracket (may just rest there, held be spring tension, there may be a retension bolt). My USA version does not have the bracket, the wire-harness connection, or the resistor itself. The Relay box cannot be had in the USA. But I think they are quite common in Canadian yards, because all Canadian delivered trucks had to have them by law at the time, from 1997-2002.

This picture is also useful because it shows on the left side of the DRL relay box, how the click-in box mounts to the steel mount point inside of the dash. Right near the circle water-mark, there is a black plastic tab. (This box is essentially show on its side, but normally that face is oriented "down"). If I remember correctly (not sure I do), the unit is release by sliding a real small *****-driver or thin knife (like a table knife) in, between that tab on the bottom, and the STEEL mount, then you push the box away from the knife to slide it off the metal tab that mates with that plastic tab. I do remember it is a pain the first time, and one has a tendency to snap off that plastic tab. So either go to a yard with more than one Expy, or be careful when prying that tab away from the steel bracket mount. Just pry enough to get it to release as you push away, and not even a little more...

MesaGuy

Reaction score
@

@Robert Wagner

Code:

Any Expedition that was destined for delivery in Canada, no matter whether built in Canada or USA, was equipped with the DRL feature, it was required by law at the time in Canada.

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found this information about 1997 and 1998 models.
1998 and older:

drlrelayblock.gif

DRL Module
- Ford Part Number F65Z-15A272-AA

1998 and older:
(Sorry people... very limited information on this one)
From the manual: The DRL system is designed to turn the high beam headlamps on at a reduced output without illuminating the high beam indicator. The system is activated when the ignition switch is in the ON position, the headlamp switch is in the OFF position, and the parking brake is released.
What it means: The DRL "Module" does everything. It does not use a resistor but instead uses switches to provide lower voltage to the High beams. Not sure about to much more like wiring, etc. All I know is that it's not compatible with the 1999 and newer layout. I do however have the part number for the module: F65Z-15A272-AA. It's location is around the same area as the resistor on the 1999 and newer trucks.

This is what I have in my 1997 Expedition. According to this, there is but one unit, 'the module' that does everything in this system.
Are they prone to burn out?
How many fuses and fusebox relays are there?
How do I trouble shoot the system?
I will try to find one at the wreckers.

Plati

Reaction score
Legendary thread and set of Forum posts .... truly awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1