1st Gen Ride Floats after lowering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im with ***** on this one. It sounds like your bags aren't getting loaded proper. If your going to stay with air springs, you've got to get the necessary force on them or maybe switch over to a coil spring setup. Theirs a lot of physics, and geometry in making a proper riding/handling vehicle. And unfortunately you've disprupted that balance. When you bounce on the four corners, does it have the usual 1 bounce and stop? Or does it continue bouncing like a 1960's pogo stick?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Tjhoward84

Tjhoward84

Reaction score
Are you sure?

Most systems would simply set a new normal ride height by lowering the trigger so it thinks it is normal with less air in the system. Which would result in softer bags and more body roll.

How much of a lowering kit did you get?

The GroundForce kit says it lowers a 4x4 Expedition by 2".

OP
OP
Tjhoward84

Tjhoward84

Reaction score
Im with ***** on this one. It sounds like your bags aren't getting loaded proper. If your going to stay with air springs, you've got to get the necessary force on them or maybe switch over to a coil spring setup. Theirs a lot of physics, and geometry in making a proper riding/handling vehicle. And unfortunately you've disprupted that balance. When you bounce on the four corners, does it have the usual 1 bounce and stop? Or does it continue bouncing like a 1960's pogo stick?

The "float" I'm feeling is in the front end. The 4x4 Expeditions with the factory 4 corner load leveling suspension (like mine) come with air shocks up front and air bags in the rear. I really don't think the floating I'm experiencing is because my air shocks are not fully filled. In fact, the suspension pumps up when the vehicle is turned on but the ride height is about 2 inches lower. I really think its because there is less preload on the torsion bars and the spring constant of the torsion bars that come with the 4 corner load leveling suspension is considerably less compared to non 4 corner load leveling suspension torsion bars. I would love to find a set of torsion bars from a 1997-2000 F250LD truck. I think those would work great.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sway-a-way makes replacement sway bars. Not cheap. But you might be the type of person to spend the money.

OP
OP
Tjhoward84

Tjhoward84

Reaction score
Sway-a-way makes replacement sway bars. Not cheap. But you might be the type of person to spend the money.

At this point with what I have in this truck and the fact that I never plan on getting rid of it, I'm not too worried about the cost. My only issue with the Sway-a-Way torsion bars is they're rated at a 16% increase in stiffness and for $1,300 that seems a little steep to cross my fingers they fix the problem. If someone could tell me they had the same issue as I'm dealing with and using these bars solved the problem, I would have them tomorrow.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's a dumb question? If you think the F250 torsion bars are the ticket, do a part hunt cross country, and find them. Theirs so many F150/250 trucks built each year, have a few wreckers put out on their locater for a set. I'd also comb the pick and pulls yourself. You can go on computer and it shows vehicles in inventory. Keep looking eBay and any trucking yards. If parts can be found for a 1914 Cadillac, yours is easy, just need to know where to go.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The F250LD isn't super common actually. It was a short run before the F250 got its own 3/4 ton chassis.

Or you could try the non-air ride torsion bars. Way easier to find, and significantly cheaper.

Take some calipers to a junkyard and take some measurements. Getting them off at the yard will be the fun part.......

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's weird is everytime I key in torsion bars even for our 2000 Eddie Bauer's, Tom all I see are the adjustment keys, not the 3 foot bars themselves. How come nobody seems to have them? They've been on the Expedition since 97-? You'd think they'd pop up on eBay, or somewhere. Apparently their scooped up quick, or they get bent or damaged somehow. They are exposed, and wouldn't take much to bend one. Does anyone here know who sells them for 1st edition Expedition?