1st time Ford Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

currie954

Reaction score
Hello folks. New to the Ford family and wish I wasn't. Found this site googling answers to some of my problems with the Expedition I just bought.

I picked up a 2003 Expedition with the 5.4 4x4 in silver. Had 115k miles on it for $7k. Bought it from a used car lot and as expected it ran fantastic for the 1st 10k miles then all hell broke loose.

At 125k miles this is what went wrong.
- rear heater blows only cold air from floor and ceiling vents
- adjustable foot controls no longer move
- Had to replace brakes & rotors all around
- rear main seal leaking
- right head gasket leaking
- 4x4 indicator light only lights up in 4 low
- plastic pvc pipe that runs into intake came loose on Fwy resting on hot tube that comes off manifold causing car to stall out.
- in cold weather it spits and sputters like it's miss firing. But when it warms up it goes away.
- all doors /windows closed but door open light still on.

If I didn't still owe 4k I would have set this vehicle on fire already so that no one would have to take on this money pit. But since I'm stuck with it till paid off I figure I'll make the best of it and slowly fix the bugs. Maybe it will turn out to last me a few more years. Of anyone has input on some of my issues please feel free to chime in. Thanks

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello folks. New to the Ford family and wish I wasn't. Found this site googling answers to some of my problems with the Expedition I just bought.

I picked up a 2003 Expedition with the 5.4 4x4 in silver. Had 115k miles on it for $7k. Bought it from a used car lot and as expected it ran fantastic for the 1st 10k miles then all hell broke loose.

At 125k miles this is what went wrong.
- rear main seal leaking
- plastic pvc pipe that runs into intake came loose on Fwy resting on hot tube that comes off manifold causing car to stall out.
- in cold weather it spits and sputters like it's miss firing. But when it warms up it goes away.

If I didn't still owe 4k I would have set this vehicle on fire already so that no one would have to take on this money pit. But since I'm stuck with it till paid off I figure I'll make the best of it and slowly fix the bugs. Maybe it will turn out to last me a few more years. Of anyone has input on some of my issues please feel free to chime in. Thanks

welcome to the site...all those can and have already been answered here many times over...

easy fix...$50 in parts...rear blend door actuators are bad and takes 20 mins tops to replace both...thats removing panels...changing parts...replacing panels
it was time for them to be replaced
- rear main seal leaking
possible bad coil over plugs (cops)...spark plugs...it needs the 100K maintenance done which will cover this and other things...alt should be close in needing to be changed...upper/lower ball joints...fuel pump...air suspension if u have that...regular stuff that we all have done around those miles and its 11 yrs old...once those are done u will be sitting good...previous owner didnt take care of it...reason why i cant buy used...just my preference
search "door ajar"...there's a fix for it

again...welcome to the site

slhanks4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like deferred/neglected maintenance is the cause of most of your issues more than anything else. I wouldn't blame most of this on Ford.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with Scott. You bought what we consider a very high mileage vehicle. Who knows what the previous owner did or didn't do with it. Never buy a high mileage vehicle like that from any manufacturer without preparing to fix a lot of things. Unless you knew the previous owner and knew they were on top of maintaining it. Even then, don't be surprised.

Am3ricanInfid3L

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome!
You have an older, high mileage, USED vehicle. You have to realize that the last owner sold the vehicle for a reason...
I bought my '00 pretty cheap from a used car dealership. It had 110K miles on it, and had a little bit of problems to start with.
I was paying $310 a month, PLUS the cost of keeping the thing on the road. It was a pain in the A$$, but I finally managed to pay it off, and make all the necessary repairs.
Now the thing runs like new, and I regret even thinking about letting it go!

Just keep your head up, and set a budget. I promise that once you fix everything and pay it off, your expedition will be a beast! Just take care of her, and she'll take care of you!

P.S.. Mine now has 198K on it ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani