'20 rattling waste gate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I disagree with you, my Navigator was over 100k, it sounds like shit when at the bank drivethru.

I feel ford buys cheap widgets in china, China sends the widgets to Mexico, Mexico assembles the part, Mexico send the part to the UAW to install.

Its all a shit show.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a happy camper as I am preparing to deal with 4wd issues right now (waiting until COVID ).

It sucks that the NVH engineers let that go claiming it is normal noise, but what I am saying is that it may be just noise with no negative effects on the turbo life span (I am not an expert though).

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe. I hate the noise, but most metallurgists know that metal wears down just like any material. Metal slapping on metal thousands and thousands of times will likely wear down over time. So what happens when I hit a high mileage and lifespan (if I make it there), the noise gets worse, or better yet the hinge or something else craps out and causes a turbo failure? Maybe I'll still be in my extended warranty, maybe not. Super frustrating that you can slap a "normal" slogan on something that simply isn't. Again, if it was normal, I would expect it to happen on every EcoBoost 3.5 out there.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try small claims court.

Small Claims? As with any brand now, when you buy a vehicle and sign the owner docs, you essentially relinquish your ability to do just about anything. In fact, many of the read essentially, you follow this prescriptive process or we can reverse sue for liable etc. You'd likely lose as well, so then you're likely responsible for legal fees on both sides. Just about everything ends up having to through arbitration which you likely pay for as well. Not sure if you'd lose more trying that or just ditching the vehicle and taking the massive depreciation losses. The proverbial rock and hard place.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alright, real fast, just talked to Ford customer care and the "engineer" put in his final verdict and they are not replacing the turbos. I had asked for escalation and apparently Ford doesn't have an escalation path for technical/engineering issues and only the one engineer that's working the hotline case will work on it because they are "assigned" to the issue. I'm waiting for everything in writing, but as I said before, I'm super disappointed. I'm starting to regret paying this much for a Ford, not to say that other manufacturers would be any better, but I know that when I escalated issues with Jeep on my last vehicle, they actually tried. They sent 3 engineers out from Detroit to look at the issue, and we worked on it together. What a bummer, I realize others have had different outcomes, but this is ******.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
:oops: Sorry to hear. Now I’m counting my blessings for getting my turbo replaced this past September. It rattled.

stefan gimenez

Reaction score
My 18’ does it every cold morning on initial start up. I usually auto start the truck and I can hear it from my house! It does go away and I know they will not cover it under warranty. and since I only have the 100000k powertrain left I am not paying out of pocket. just curious the long term effects because these truck cost to much to keep throwing away every 4 years for another.

Jon1985

Reaction score
I hear so much bad crap about these eco-boost engines I won’t ever buy a Ford Vehicles without the V8 5.0 option or the V6 turbo Diesel engine honestly don’t know why this isn’t a option specially on the expedition . I’ve heard the V8 5.0 gets better gas mileage then these V-6 turbo charged engines and their more reliable .

NIckS

Reaction score
The 5.0 V8 isn’t a bastion of reliability anymore either. Just google Ford V8 oil consumption

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You also give back some torque to get the V8 and whatever mileage increase you might see. 2.7 ecoboost has same torque as the Coyote if that matters as much as number of cylinders/lack of turbochargers.

Last edited:

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick update again, finally heard back from a supervisor within customer care. He is initiating a process internally called a "Good faith review" to see if Ford is willing to do anything with the rattling turbos. I explained that Ford really should show new customers the TSB about rattles being normal, prior to customers signing the owner agreement during a purchase. Honestly, if you're product design allows for parts to functionally start rattling over time, customers should know that. Especially if the manufacturer just brushes their hands together and says "meh, that's normal and to be expected", we should all know.

I've thought about reporting it to some consumer agencies, as it really feels pretty shady that a company can just create a document that says this problem is normal. What's next? Exhaust leaks are normal? the soggy wet passenger compartments are normal (even though we had another forum member recently write it's often due to Kentucky assembly line workers not installing plugs)? We'll see what they say. The supervisor did say that in these cases they often try to offer ESP's, I replied, I already bought your most expensive ESP. What I really want is in writing that if the Turbo's do fail, as metal slapping against metal (making the noise) will eventually fail, that I won't have trouble getting them replaced.

Last edited: