'20 rattling waste gate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh boy, where do I start?

So looks as though writing letters to Ford customer service, and to the board of directors has net Ford actually approving the turbo replacements. So one would say that's a good thing, but let me tell you, four days into the service and I found out today just how bad things are.

As is always the case, my local dealer I've been going to that had great reviews (which is why I picked them, as there are two dealers closer to me that have shit reviews), was purchased about 6 months ago, and they lost virtually every service advisor they had, so the folks that knew me and my situation are of course all gone. Which would explain why none of the voicemails I've left have been returned. But regardless, finally talked to the dealer GM today, and the first thing he said when I answered was, wow, you are getting a ridiculous amount of work done, which set me aside. I thought I was just there for the dash and the turbos... not so.

They are calling a complete tear down. Not sure exactly what that means and he only went through about a 3rd of the work. So here's what I was told.
- Two turbos
- New dash (second one as the first order was damaged)
- Oil pickup, oil cooler, some sensors for the oil transit system
- Sunroof repair
- The RO is now sitting at 5 pages long already

I asked if it was a body removal at this point, they said no, but that they basically had to remove most of the top and front of the engine, all kinds of stuff underneath, ridiculous amounts of seals/gaskets, etc.

Worst part is that I was originally told it was a week of work, after almost a week, I was just told today it's likely another 1.5 to 2 weeks. I love this, I bought a pretty damn expensive vehicle, that's been in the shop now 8 times in about 15 months, for a total of about 5.5-6 weeks of downtime. Seems about right I guess. At this point I miss it, I'm in a 2021 F150 STX. That thing (even though it has the ecoboost), it's week as all get out. And I'll tell you, that new interior is pretty janky and I've seen body alignment issues on it, etc. Oh, and when I drove it off the lot, it had 8 miles on it.

So a thought came up today, should I tell them I'll pay for other things while they have it all apart? Like a water pump, timing chain, etc? it's only got 15k miles on it.
New dealer is pumping ford for funds and training their new shop guys on your truck. At this point the original buy back seems like the right call. My 19 has zero issues its hard to even understand how yours can end up with so many bad parts.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New dealer is pumping ford for funds and training their new shop guys on your truck. At this point the original buy back seems like the right call. My 19 has zero issues its hard to even understand how yours can end up with so many bad parts.
Sadly it's not just me. Pretty sure there's been dozens of folks on here complaining about the wastegate rattle. Many will live with it, but I didn't buy a highly advanced engine in a $80k truck for it to sound like it has loose heat shields while driving through parking lots. In fact, none of my "issues" are new to the forum. Sadly I haven't been able to contribute that way. From rear glass defroster connection issues, to moonroof, to taillight housings, to a warping dash, etc. All very well known issues.

APExpo

Reaction score
I got my 18 back from the dealer yesterday, and they are also refusing to replace the turbos. They gave me the “it’s normal” bs Ford is feeding them.

If I want to escalate this with Ford, who do I contact??

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got my 18 back from the dealer yesterday, and they are also refusing to replace the turbos. They gave me the “it’s normal” bs Ford is feeding them.

If I want to escalate this with Ford, who do I contact??

From what I understand, this is not wastegate rattle, rather it is wastegate “linkage” rattle. The linkage mechanism has this slop since the wastegate is not guided like intake or exhaust valves.

I am not sure if this has long term effect on the turbos, but I decided to not lose sleep over it.

APExpo

Reaction score
From what I understand, this is not wastegate rattle, rather it is wastegate “linkage” rattle. The linkage mechanism has this slop since the wastegate is not guided like intake or exhaust valves.

I am not sure if this has long term effect on the turbos, but I decided to not lose sleep over it.

I just hate that they’re trying to gaslight us into thinking it’s normal when it’s obviously not.

I’m not usually an extended warranty guy, but thankfully I got one this time. Maybe I’ll just dealer shop every time I need an oil change. “Hey the turbo’s making a weird noise, can you check it out?” Maybe somebody will bite. I’ve got six more years and there’s a bunch of Ford dealerships in this town.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Same its kinda like complaining that the engine makes noise when you start it. Not really anything wrong till it quits working lol.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just hate that they’re trying to gaslight us into thinking it’s normal when it’s obviously not.

I’m not usually an extended warranty guy, but thankfully I got one this time. Maybe I’ll just dealer shop every time I need an oil change. “Hey the turbo’s making a weird noise, can you check it out?” Maybe somebody will bite. I’ve got six more years and there’s a bunch of Ford dealerships in this town.

Trouble with that is that Ford keeps track of the repair requests that are approved and/or declined for every vehicle. So every time the dealers requests a turbo repair, Ford will see previous declines and likely continue to decline it. I guess there's a chance if you do it 20 times, they may approve it. the two turbos replaced on mine still don't have the rattle, and it's been over 1k miles now. And just to be clear, before they replaced mine, Ford required the dealer to do the phaser fix (even though I didn't have a start up noise) and they attempted two different wastegate arm repairs without anything getting better. the replacement fixed it immediately. But I'm sure you can search for my experience with Ford customer care and escalations to get it done. F that.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My issue is that we don’t have Ford service department that I can trust to touch the engine or transmission. They can barely do oil changes and even screw things up while doing it. Last oil change they didn’t tighten the skid plate bolts all the way. They also lost one of the bolts that attach the flimsy belly pan. A friend of mine had transmission replaced in his Focus and they busted the rear main seal and had to drop the transmission three time trying to fix it (after numerous complains about oil leak).

That’s another reason for why I decided to live with it. But if you trust your service center, I would say give it a push.