'20 Ticking on Cold Start Temporarily

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pathfinder_88

Reaction score
I've noticed our '20 seems to make a ticking noise for a few minutes on cold start. This isn't chain rattle as some have experienced as it's a bit more subtle. Anyone else experience this and, if so, do we know what it is? It goes away after a couple minutes. No issues otherwise. Thanks!

OP
OP
P

pathfinder_88

Reaction score
Update on this, after listening to a few videos, I believe it's wastegate rattle. Can be heard at idle when cold or when revving stationary for a brief moment. I'm assuming it's more of annoyance but appears to be a common issue...and sounds like sh*t when cold.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@pathfinder_88 I had this as well. Dealer replaced the turbo with the wastegate rattle under warranty back in Sept 2020. Now my passengerside turbo is doing this...

Last edited:

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@pathfinder_88 I had this as well. Dealer replaced the turbo with the wastegate rattle under warranty back in Sept 2020. Now my passengerside turbo is doing this...
The fact that you actually got your dealer to replace the turbo under warranty for the wastegate rattle is amazing. You either have the nicest (or most bored) dealer in the world, or you are an excellent negotiator. Good work!

(A couple other folks on here have managed it, but most of us are just told that it's "normal" and have learned to begrudgingly live with it.)

OP
OP
P

pathfinder_88

Reaction score
The fact that you actually got your dealer to replace the turbo under warranty for the wastegate rattle is amazing. You either have the nicest (or most bored) dealer in the world, or you are an excellent negotiator. Good work!

(A couple other folks on here have managed it, but most of us are just told that it's "normal" and have learned to begrudgingly live with it.)
I may just email a video to one of my dealers and ask if they'll deal with it rather than waste time going there. It seems it isn't a turbo issue but rather the linkage for the wastegate. You'd think they'd just come up with a cheap fix.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They don’t service/rebuild the wastegate they have to replace the entire assembly (turbo, wastegate, and linkage). What the Ford tech that did mine said .

Last edited:

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I’m a smooth talker I guess and I had that video above and started the conversation with the service writer with it. Also, having USMC war in Afghanistan veterans plates might have helped too. And I was waiting in the parking lot when the Ford tech went to my Expy to Diagnose it. I gave him the run down with all the stuff I learned from the community in this forum with a I’m not swallowing any BS tone.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They don’t service/rebuild the wastegate they have to replace the entire assembly (turbo, wastegate, and linkage). What the Ford tech that did mine said .
Mine actually tried servicing the wastegate, via a TSB that was for previous F150's. they replaced the wastegate actuator arm and spring assembly. Did nothing, the noise is internal to the turbo, not the actuator/assembly. After that, it took me 9 months of escalating and fighting with Ford, and almost doing a buyback to get the two turbos replaced. They've been great since.

OP
OP
P

pathfinder_88

Reaction score
Mine actually tried servicing the wastegate, via a TSB that was for previous F150's. they replaced the wastegate actuator arm and spring assembly. Did nothing, the noise is internal to the turbo, not the actuator/assembly. After that, it took me 9 months of escalating and fighting with Ford, and almost doing a buyback to get the two turbos replaced. They've been great since.
It's interesting to hear that the 2017 TSB didn't work as I'd thought it was the external arm vibrating but I guess not.