2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer: Investigation and next steps #2 valve spring broke, head removal ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pdxexpedition

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 2000 Expy that started spitting out the dreaded milky fluid from exhaust and wouldnt turn over but would crank...how in the world im not sure but here goes-
(Since i bought as a project im not completely s-out-of-luck on the fact that it isnt my daily driver.)

So i pulled the upper/lower intake manifold off and attacked the drivers side valve cover and pulled it off to find disaster - the #2 valve spring was shattered in pieces and the valve stem seal and retainer were just laying inside the head.
I couldnt see or find or valve stem so im guessing even worse...the vale has dropped in the cylinder head.

I'm obviously looking to pull that driver side head completely off, and drained the oil to find that milky mess.

SO....how do i know if there is pretty catastrophic damage past the head or head gasket blown?
I do have a bore scope but where do i look and what exactly Am I looking for?
And finally IF IF IF by gods grace it appears that its only the head issue, how do you clean up that god awful milky mess in the oil pan and system?

Anyone that has been through this your advice is greatly appreciated.

driverhead.jpg

nasty.jpg

spring.jpg

droppedvalve.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pdxexpedition

Reaction score
Know that there have been a few views. But for anyone that has either done the bore scope or pulled head what exactly are the tell tale signs of a complete replacement?