2000 XLT expedition rehabilitation thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

2000UN93

Reaction score
today was rainy and cold. I needed something to kill a little time on so I pulled the overhead console down and brought it in the house to do a couple things.

fixed my compass display thanks to info I found searching EF!

GrYP7.jpg

Next I did a mod I have been planning since I first started working on this truck. Get some better interior lighting up front. This is a dome light/map light module from a 97-2003 BMW 5 series:
E7Qrb.jpg

It has a dome light, a map light for each side as well as LED "mood" lighting. Two directional LED's shine down on the center console area and front seats so you can see what you are doing at night without turning on the dome lights.

Here it is mocked up where I wanted it on the overhead console.
JKTtO.jpg

A little time with a dremel later and it was mounted in the console.

The LED's are wired to come on with ignition in run position, the rest of it works in conjunction with the other dome lights. The front is illuminated a lot better now when the doors are open and the map lights in this thing kick ass, they actually focus light where you need it. The part itself is not a perfect color match for the interior but it blends in well enough for my tastes.
1ChgL.jpg

directional LEDs/compass shot
Cv01Q.jpg

Took a drive to one of my favorite spots for carry out and got some dinner. Truck is running and driving really nice. I think it's safe to start driving it to work now. Hopefully it is good to me this winter. :)

OP
OP

2000UN93

Reaction score
I have been driving the truck back and forth to work since I last updated this thread. It's been running just fine and have not had any serious issues. Putting about 60 miles a day on it. I got a chance to drive it in some fresh snow the other night, the snow tires rock. Never even considered putting it in 4x4.

There are a couple things that still need attention though, as I am sure there always will be. The compass stopped working again. I am going to take the console down again and resolder the chips I soldered. I must not have made a good enough connection and it worked loose again.

I changed both front hubs and installed a brand new rear ABS sensor but I still have an ABS light on the dash. My friend is bringing over a code reader later today, hopefully it will read ABS codes so I can figure that out. I don't have any issues braking in fact the truck seems to come to a stop rather gracefully for a vehicle this size. I just hate that light glaring me in the eyes all the time.

I also have to go get an oil pressure switch and oil change supplies. My switch is bad and showing 0 oil pressure when the truck is cold for a minute or two. I about crapped my pants on that one, but the truck has fine oil pressure it's just a bad switch. I am considering installing a real oil pressure gauge at some point as well. I was reading that the factory gauge is not really a gauge but just shows oil pressure is there, like all or nothing.

Been having a blast driving this thing!

Wint

Reaction score
Awesome work, do you have a link to the fix for the compass display? Mine is broken as well. How hard is it to get that overhead console off?

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
he said he found the fix on this forum try searching it i guess

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
o ya by the way your expy is a 2000 check your 4wd selector switch if it says a4wd 4hi and 4lo thats why it did so good in the snow without engaging it its automatic. if it senses wheel slipage it will automatically go into 4wd. only thing i hate

Sir.Gregory

Reaction score
Sounds like your having a blast man! I just got mine before i deployed in September. Cant wait to play with it when I get home.. next September :p OH YEAH! And when I take leave in a few months ;) Grabbed mine for cheap like you, which was good considering the work that went in to it :p Keep up the good work and the updates! BTW I might use your DVD player idea!

OP
OP

2000UN93

Reaction score
Awesome work, do you have a link to the fix for the compass display? Mine is broken as well. How hard is it to get that overhead console off?

see post 4 of this thread:
http://expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=6927

console only has one screw in it, under the sunglasses holder. After that just pull it forward and down and it comes right down.

The truck does have the A4WD option. Does the dash 4x4 light up when that activates on its own? If so I have not seen it kick on yet.

I put the truck in 4hi yesterday just to test things and it appeared to go right in and out of 4x4 with no issues.

OP
OP

2000UN93

Reaction score
Sounds like your having a blast man! I just got mine before i deployed in September. Cant wait to play with it when I get home.. next September :p OH YEAH! And when I take leave in a few months ;) Grabbed mine for cheap like you, which was good considering the work that went in to it :p Keep up the good work and the updates! BTW I might use your DVD player idea!

This has been a fun little project, I have been wanting to get another truck for a couple years now and the money just was not there until recently.

Good luck with your expy and thank you for serving!