2000 XLT expedition rehabilitation thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000UN93

Reaction score
Hey guys my name is Mark. I am no stranger to blue oval products having owned a few fox body mustangs, a full size bronco and an explorer 4x4 2 door in the past. I've always liked the expedition first gens styling so I decided to put together a little cash and buy one. I need a vehicle with more cargo space for projects and home depot runs and missed having a 4x4 in the winter.

The search for a truck had a couple initial disappointments. The first one I looked at the rockers were so rusted out you could reach inside them. Didn't even drive it, wasted a trip on that one. I couldn't believe the guy wanted 3500 for it in that shape. I looked at another for 5 grand that was in a lot better shape but I did not care for the tan interior and I knew I could find a better deal if I held out.

I found an ad for a 2000 expedition on craigslist. Called the guy up and went to check it out. There are some good things and bad things about the truck but it was exactly what I was looking for. A relatively clean body that runs and drives well, needs some work/TLC and is cheap. Has 140k miles on it. The shell is nearly rust free with just a little cancer on the bottoms of the front two doors. Running boards are rusty but they can be removed. Interior rearview is missing. Has springs and shocks all around, no air ride.

It's a 5.4L 4x4 with gray leather interior. Entire exhaust is new from the manifolds back. The rear bumper has a nice ding in it, looks like it may have been rear ended or backed into something slowly. Both airbags were popped. Radio missing. Front lower valance under the bumper is cracked and needs replaced. Spare tire/wheel missing. Rear wiper broken. Hood latch is broken. Needed tires bad. After I drove it I told the guy I would offer 1850 bucks cash then and there, and he signed the title over to me.

Here are a couple pics.

NdnrO.jpg

3Ierh.jpg

8knIh.jpg

I've already done a few things since I bought it and I will update this thread with more pics and info as I continue to bring this beast back to roadworthy. So far I have put new airbags in, bought tires, new battery, replacement wheel for a spare, new hood latch, new rear wiper arm, and some floor mats. Lots of work to do. Next round of repairs will be suspension related. I imagine a lot of these bushings and ball joints are factory and have never been touched. I love this thing already though.

OP
OP

2000UN93

Reaction score
some notes on the airbags. I was not able to turn up any good info on this forum (or any website for that matter) when searching for the location of the airbag control module or as ford calls it the restraint control module (RCM).

It is under the dash on top of the trans hump on the drivers side. It has two electrical plugs and is held in place on a bracket with 3 fasteners.
TfssR.jpg

The first two bolts are easy to get to but to get the third bolt out and get the module out of the truck I had to remove the entire center console and pull the carpet back a little.
IV92l.jpg

OP
OP

2000UN93

Reaction score
New bags installed, console going back together.
vZeb8.jpg

you planin to go to the track with those slicks lol nice find

haha no racing on those slicks for me thanks. I picked up some tires for it I just have to go get them mounted.
35iaU.jpg

They are firestone snow tires. Here is a pic of the replacement wheel I ordered.
raFte.jpg

Going to run that one on the passengers front. The current wheel there has brake dust baked onto it so badly it would take sandblasting to get it off. That wheel will be the spare so I don't have to look at it.

OP
OP

2000UN93

Reaction score
Put the new hood latch on there today, with success.
cCbx9.jpg
I was dreading messing with that thing but it was easy to change out and the hood closes all the way now.

I also ditched the running boards today, I think it looks 100 times better.
R2u3v.jpg

BqOrD.jpg

wZkAw.jpg

I'll add more to this thread in the coming days as things happen. I need to get the front wheels off and see what the suspension needs up front. I want to have it aligned and the tires mounted at the same time so I need to address any issues first.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
looking good! great price also.

you will love the firestones, i have a set of the winterforces studded on my winter wheels. makes the truck stick like glue to the ice.